PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 4:24 pm 

Looks pretty sweet.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... attachment

Attachments:
1973 Rickenbacker 4001.jpg
1973 Rickenbacker 4001.jpg [ 166.17 KiB | Viewed 2315 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 1973 Rickenbacker 4001
PostPosted: April 4th, 2021, 4:37 pm 

Checkerboard Binding! However note Seller looking for local pick up only in Manchester England.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2021, 10:39 pm 

As a repairman, I get to work on a lot of instruments..I've worked on a lot of Rickenbackers. Recently, I played a brand new 4001 in a friend's music store, after lamenting to him, that he never has any leftys. I had a choice of two in stock! Black, and Sunburst. I played the sunburst one.. immediately noticed a few things. There was an obvious finish flaw- repaired at the factory, which is a big no-no on a $2,500 dollar bass. Then- how incredibly resonant it was... unlike the majority of Ricks I've encountered. I didn't plug it in. I didn't need to, I knew it was a great bass. I didn't buy it- even at what was essentially, dealer cost! Why? As I played it, I noticed it felt weird to me. Then, I remembered- it's 33.25" scale. I felt that. I am so used to 34" scale, at the age of 69 now- there won't be a 33" scale Rick in my collection. I don't care for the triangle inlays, either. Recently, a repair client brought over three Ricks. Two 4001s models, from recent years. Both sounded better than any Rick from the vintage years I'm familiar with. Then, he brought me his 1974 4001. The woodworking on the newer basses was excellent. A P.S. here- anyone who has bothered to measure Ricks over the years will know that there are numerous differences. The body shape being the biggest one...and the 'scooped down' like a Fender headstock, revised to a slightly pitched back one, on the 'S' models now. The '74, has some of the worst, sloppiest routing on a bass I've ever seen. In addition, the '74 had that 'bloopy' woofy not articulate sound as I call it..the neck pickup just overpowers the treble pickup. Yeah, I know many bassists have utilized that sound to great success... but I really, after careful analysis, believe the new Ricks are better instruments, in a number of ways. As far as a collector value- a checkerboard bound, lefty 4001 is rare... so, would I take a plane trip after winning The Publisher's Clearing House prize? Yeah.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2021, 1:00 am 

LHBASSIST wrote:
Black, and Sunburst.

At this mention, any Ric enthousiast will stop what they're doing, swivel around and condescend you for getting the names wrong :P
It's Jetglo and Fireglo ;)

I can imagine the newer ones being better instruments! I had a 2009 model 4003, and it was flawed in many ways. The finish already had several stress cracks in funny places (possibly from temperature changes during shipping), the bridge was TERRIBLE and wobbly, the nut was filed wrong and the open E-string would sound muffled and dead, and routing was pretty rough. I didn't get along with the wide, square feeling neck and the funny ergonomics. It did, however, sound incredible when I had everything set up right!