LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 17th, 2024, 10:38 pm

Post subject: $859 Sadowsky on Thomann?????
PostPosted: December 12th, 2020, 4:26 pm 

https://www.thomannmusic.com/sadowsky_metroex_21_5_hyb_mo_owh_lh.htm

The ad does not say where it's made.

Post subject: Re: $859 Sadowsky on Thomann?????
PostPosted: December 12th, 2020, 4:41 pm 

Ahhh they are the Japanese made.

https://www.sadowsky.com/sadowsky-instr ... roexpress/

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 12:55 am 

What did these sell for when new? This seems like a fair price, for a factory knock-off.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 8:01 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
What did these sell for when new? This seems like a fair price, for a factory knock-off.

About 2k last year.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 8:45 am 

Actually they maybe the new German made Sadowskys. Roger is working with Warwick. Hans Peter is building the metro line now.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2020, 4:36 pm 

No pic on the listing? I'd say its the Warwick made one: there is a link below the listing to extend your warranty with Warwick.

Edit: on 2nd look there is also a 2k+ Metro model so my guess is maybe these are made through the Warwick Rockbass line?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2020, 3:01 am 

donahue wrote:
my guess is maybe these are made through the Warwick Rockbass line?

They are, these are on par with Rockbass and the Chinese-made Pro Series.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2020, 2:51 am 

Sadowsky terminated the collaboration with the Japanese workshop. Before, it was organized like this:

Sadowsky NYC: USA made in the workshop with lots of custom options. Pricing begins around $5000.
Sadowsky Satin: USA made in the workshop. Chambered bodies, but Metro-hardware (Hipshot licensed), HC pickups (except for WL model) and of course, no high polish finish. A little less options than a regular NYC. Around $3000 (but the dealer-exclusive Satin Deluxe, which has a figured top, was more expensive).
Sadowsky MetroLine: Japanese made with almost no corners cut when compared with NYCs. Early versions had a headstock that was a little thinner and the shape of the necks was a little different. No chambered bodies, far less options, limited wood choice combinations, finishes and electronics. Hipshot licensed hardware. These were sold around $2000-3000.
Sadowsky MetroExpress: Japanese made, but even less options. Japanese MetroExpress basses sold for a relatively short period of time for around $1500.

BUT, then the collaboration with the Japanese workshop was terminated and they chose to continue with Warwick in Germany. There will also be a USA-based distributor. This resulted in a shift in the line-up:

Sadowsky NYC Custom Shop: USA made in the workshop with lots of custom options. Pricing begins around $5000. Unchanged from before the Warwick licensing deal.
Sadowsky Satin: discontinued
Sadowsky Custom Shop: German made. German equivalent to the NYC Custom Shop. Pricing starts around 5000 EUR.
Sadowsky MasterBuilt: German made. German equivalent to the NYC Custom Shop, with pricing starting around 4000 EUR. Not sure that the difference is with the German Custom Shop.
Sadowsky MetroLine: German made equivalent to the Japanese MetroLine, so: less options. Pricing starts around 2000-2500 EUR.
Sadowsky MetroExpress: Chinese made. These CANNOT be seen as an equivalent to the previous MetroExpress models. These are made in China with a price point starting around 800 EUR, whereas the previous (Japanese) MetroExpress started around $1500. These basses don't have the coveted Sadowsky VTC-circuit, but it is optional and not difficult to install yourself.

I think I covered most bases (no pun intended). There's a lot of information to be found in the TB-thread. Roger Sadowsky himself is active in the Club Sadowsky thread. Responses via e-mail are a little slow today, as they downsized their workshop (regarding personnel), but their customer service is held in very very high regard.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2020, 1:07 pm 

They are through Warwick and made in Germany. I spoke to Roger a few days ago about them and he suggested that I email Ashley Hunsaker in re to them. She gave me a lot of info on them and after considering it, I’ll be placing an order for a Metroline J5. There are 3 different categories that the Sadowsky’s fall under, Masterbuilt, Metroline and Metro Express. The Masterbuilt are about the same price as an NYC, the Metroline is a little less expensive and the Metro Express is pretty much under a thousand.
Anyone interested can e mail her at
a.hunsaker@framuswarwickusa.com

PostPosted: December 16th, 2020, 8:20 pm 

I think there is some kind of miscommunication as I got my Metro Line Express from Thomann last week and it clearly states "Made in China" on the back of the headstock under the serial number. However the warranty card states that it must be registered thru http://www.w-distribution.de. The card says: Importer: Warwick Gmbh & Co Music Equipment KG. So I think Musicfreak1988's post is accurate that the basses are made in China, but distributed by Warwick in Germany.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2020, 6:26 am 

Yes, if you see a MetroExpress bass priced around 800 EUR, it's a Chinese made (through Warwick under Sadowsky licensing) bass guitar. If you see a MetroExpress in the $1500-range, it's a Japanese MetroExpress. These are now discontinued and no longer sold. It was a pretty short production run.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2021, 8:07 am 

LeftFrank wrote:
I think there is some kind of miscommunication as I got my Metro Line Express from Thomann last week and it clearly states "Made in China" on the back of the headstock under the serial number. However the warranty card states that it must be registered thru http://www.w-distribution.de. The card says: Importer: Warwick Gmbh & Co Music Equipment KG. So I think Musicfreak1988's post is accurate that the basses are made in China, but distributed by Warwick in Germany.

LeftFrank, how do you like the Sadowsky Metro Express? What are your thoughts regarding finish, electronics, etc.?

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2021, 2:49 pm 

Very underwhelming. It looks and feels like a cheap Chinese knockoff. I will say I like the small body that Sadowskys have, but the fretwork is not that great. When it is in active mode it is very noisy. There is a video on youtube from this guy called the low end lobster and his had the same noise issue and he had the hybrid P/U configuration ( I got the vintage). It does sound good though. But I can't say it's an $800 bass. I have a MM Sterling, G&L Tribute and 4 Sires and the workmanship is better on all of those than this bass. The gig back is nice.