The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 17th, 2024, 9:20 pm

Post subject: New (7 year sealed) 2013 Gibson thunderbird
PostPosted: September 19th, 2020, 2:03 pm 

Wow
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/m ... 20172.html

Post subject: Re: New (7 year sealed) 2013 Gibson thunderbird
PostPosted: September 19th, 2020, 5:33 pm 

I'm not getting any younger and neither are my eyes, so maybe some of you younger guys can help me out. Is the Gibson script on the headstock upside down? Pics to small for me to tell for sure.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2020, 12:30 am 

Sure is! Weird.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2020, 8:53 am 

It came from Guitar Center. Doesn't surprise me but... I think the plates are shaped for right or left handed. The logo is just upside-down. Weird.

Supposed to look like this. You can't just flip the plate.

Attachments:
plate.jpg
plate.jpg [ 115.19 KiB | Viewed 2784 times ]
PostPosted: September 20th, 2020, 2:58 pm 

Good eyes, gents.

First off, it isn't exactly a, "Custom order". 2013 is the only year Gibson offers lefty T-Birds outright. I own one with a build date and serial # exactly 2 weeks after this one. However, the Gibson name plate on mine is correct, and no, you can't just flip it over.

As for the bass itself, I wanted a T-Bird forever, so when they finally offered them left handed I couldn't wait to get one. Truthfully, it's a disappointing bass. The PUPs suck, IMO. Muddy with no definition or clarity. The following year, Gibson improved the PUPs/tones, but they didn't bother making lefties again. In all honesty, I think the Grecos/Epiphones and other T-Birds sound better.

So is it worth $2495? Well, that's what Gibson wants you to pay for a new one today, and given it's rarity, I'll leave that up to you. But I'd say if you do bother buying this do yourself a favor an replace the PUPs

PostPosted: September 20th, 2020, 4:14 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Good eyes, gents.

First off, it isn't exactly a, "Custom order". 2013 is the only year Gibson offers lefty T-Birds outright. I own one with a built ate and serial # exactly 2 weeks after this one. However, the Gibson name plate on mine is correct, and no, you can't just flip it over.

As for the bass itself, I wanted a T-Bird forever, so when they finally offered them left handed I couldn't wait to get one. Truthfully, it's a disappointing bass. The PUPs suck, IMO. Muddy with no definition or clarity. The following year, Gibson improved the PUPs/tones, but they didn't bother making lefties again. In all honesty, I think the Grecos/Epiphones and other T-Birds sounds better.

So is it worth $2495? Well, that's what Gibson wants you to pay for a new one today, and given it's rarity, I'll leave that up to you. But I'd say if you do bother buying this do yourself a favor an replace the PUPs

T-birds I always had a fascination-al aw, but never loathed for, told the pickups can be bad bedfellows to styles of strings/ cheap amps/pedals but lack of personal research. I cannot say. thought it is a favored instrument for metal bands so muddy tone matters within the genra. Weather it snatched/customed and used -or- set back away for another 7 or so yrs. interesting overview of a sale indeed.