LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:48 pm

Post subject: Hagstrom 8-string
PostPosted: September 4th, 2020, 11:43 pm 

I know Schecter makes a left handed 8 string, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one of these in a lefty...

https://reverb.com/item/31885055-hagstr ... tring-hb-8

Post subject: Re: Hagstrom 8-string
PostPosted: September 5th, 2020, 4:16 am 

Are these Chinese?

pete

PostPosted: September 5th, 2020, 7:24 am 

I think so. Ronn, our Texan member (has been inactive here for some time, but regularly posts pics on Facebook) has one of these with the strings reversed. Cool bass :)

PostPosted: September 5th, 2020, 10:18 am 

I'm surprised to even see a lefty. I remember asking Hagstrom when these came out if they were going to do a lefty and flat out said no. But I guess they must have made a few under the radar. This is the first gen model that came out with. There's a new one now that is more historically accurate with all the switches etc.. But... no lefty....

I remember as a kid trying to figure out how Hendrix/Redding was getting that bass tone on Spanish Castle Magic and it driving me nuts until someone clued me in it was an 8 string. I've always wanted one and this is a great price. But I have a custom Warmoth 8-string I put together and the pandemic has caused my wife to take more accurate notice of my collection.... ha.

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: September 5th, 2020, 11:11 am 

I got one of these months ago and had to return it because there was no wiggle room left in the truss rod to get it set up properly. The neck was bowed and the action very high. It would have required heat pressing the neck which I didn’t want to pay for at the time. I’m not saying they’re all like this but that was my unfortunate experience as I’ve wanted one of these for a long time.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 11:52 am 

I've taken the plunge pretty much every time Hagstrom has offered a "new" lefty - when first introduced back in 2010 I picked up an FXB 220 and a Beluga II... then in 2017 a Swede reissue... and most recently a Viking reissue. I like them all, although I sold the Swede.

I also tried out the Hagstrom 8 string at the time, and decided to pass because it just wasn't particularly comfortable to play. I think part of that was down to the short scale, and the bridge lacking individual adjustment for each string. It looked cool but if you've gonna have an 8 string around, the playability needs be very good or it will just end up sitting in the rack.

I eventually ended up with a Schecter Studio 8, which is really outstanding by comparison in terms of adjustability, EMG pups and active circuit, long scale and stability of neck thru construction, which easily handles the additional string tension. It's a far more useful instrument and it plays effortlessly.

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 1:37 pm 

Those are nice. I really like the fxb 220, really neat design.
and 8 string envy! I’d love to get my hands on one of those Schecters one day. Was the restringing a pain? I grabbed a Dean Rhapsody 12-string years ago and did a pretty lousy lefty conversion, turned into a poorly set-up 8 string.. haha. It played well enough to give me an itch for that sound ever since though.
Great basses as usual!

PostPosted: September 6th, 2020, 3:54 pm 

Drum City Guitar Land has one of those Schecter-8s in stock.

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/Schec ... P7261.aspx