The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 5:43 am

Post subject: 1985 G&L L-2000
PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 9:19 am 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1985-G ... 2518.l4276
Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: 1985 G&L L-2000
PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 9:58 am 

Very nice. It's hard to tell from the photos though if this is in some sort of dark blue finish or black.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 12:12 pm 

Pretty sure that's black... those old G&L black finishes had a tendency to get that "cloudy" look to them as they aged.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2020, 3:33 pm 

Carmine wrote:
Pretty sure that's black... those old G&L black finishes had a tendency to get that "cloudy" look to them as they aged.

You're right. I just re-read the description and he does say its black.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2020, 5:01 am 

These are great basses, I loved mine. There is such a wide range of sounds from them as well between in phase and out phase, pre-amp on or off.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2020, 9:13 am 

bobjones2260 wrote:
These are great basses, I loved mine. There is such a wide range of sounds from them as well between in phase and out phase, pre-amp on or off.

Fantastic basses indeed. The slap tones, in particular, are destinctly punchy and unique. (If I had to define the L2000 signature sound, I’d say it’s in the slap tones). I think you meant series/parallel though, not out of phase, as these never had a stock out of phase switch.

I’ve never understood why G&L instruments don’t have the same respect or market value of Fender or Musicman. It was a Leo company, after all, and the final evolution in his quest for perfection and the instruments he was most proud of. (If I had one criticism, it would be that aesthetically they’re not as classic or sexy looking as Fender or Musicman). But every G&L I’ve ever played pretty much smoked Fender.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2020, 9:32 am 

I was a little bit skeptical of the dating of this L2K as 1985 since it doesn't have the front control plate, so I went to my go to source for info on vintage G&L basses:

https://www.ggjaguar.com/gggjag.htm

Based on info there, I think this could be an '85. It has the older style bridge w black crinkle finish around the outside, and it has rear loaded controls like the newer L2Ks. According to GG Jaguar's site, they transitioned to rear loaded controls in 1985. So if this is an '85, it's from the transition year.

One question I would have if I wanted to bid on it is how heavy is it? Most of the earlier G&Ls I've had are heavy. It looks to be in really good condition though, and I do really like the tone of those early G&Ls.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2020, 11:54 am 

bhunt1 wrote:
I was a little bit skeptical of the dating of this L2K as 1985 since it doesn't have the front control plate, so I went to my go to source for info on vintage G&L basses:

https://www.ggjaguar.com/gggjag.htm

Based on info there, I think this could be an '85. It has the older style bridge w black crinkle finish around the outside, and it has rear loaded controls like the newer L2Ks. According to GG Jaguar's site, they transitioned to rear loaded controls in 1985. So if this is an '85, it's from the transition year.

One question I would have if I wanted to bid on it is how heavy is it? Most of the earlier G&Ls I've had are heavy. It looks to be in really good condition though, and I do really like the tone of those early G&Ls.

Interesting info, thanks. Do the earlier ones have a different sound? I just assumed the preamp remained relatively unchanged over the years. You’re right about the weight issue. I had a ‘91 ASAT that weighed a ton. Over 11lbs. I do have an ‘80 L1000 though (Finally I found one a little less than a year ago!) that’s very light, however. Both are/were ash in a natural finish.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2020, 1:48 pm 

The early ones do sound a bit different. I believe the preamp was changed at some point in the 90s, and the pickups are wound a bit differently now. All MFD G&Ls have "that" sound, but if anything the new ones sound a bit more wooly and aggressive. Not a huge dif tho.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 8:39 am 

If this was a control plate model in that nice of shape there would probably be quite the bidding war, myself included.

Alas, I already have one very similar to this one so I have to pass this time.