LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:36 am

Post subject: Re: Lefty Epiphone Jack Casady for Pre-order?
PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 8:02 am 

Ah, gotcha. I am admittedly not an electronics whiz when it comes to that stuff. The one I tried years ago did seem weak to me, so that’s where I get my assessment from. But if I’m not homeless after this whole pandemic thing goes away, I’m definitely gonna snag one. And thanks for the info! 8-)

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 11:12 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Low impedance is not the same as Low Output, it only means it does not come out as a Hi Impedance signal like most passive instruments but with a signal similar to a Microphone called Low Impedance, or Lo-z . This means no loss of headroom through the cable. Normally you can only use a Low Impedance pickups if you have an XLR input in your amp.

It is an alternative to an active electronic without all the artifacts. Jonas Hellborg who is a massive tone geek use them.

The only issue is not everyone has an XLR input on their bass amp.

The output jack on the bass looks to be for a standard 1/4" phone jack as on any garden variety guitar/instrument cable. Are you saying you need an XLR input on the amp to use this bass? Or do you somehow get the benefit of the low impedance signal even through a standard guitar cable? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, I'm very good at that.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2020, 11:29 am 

Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Matt R. wrote:
Frenchy-Lefty wrote:
Isn't this low-impedence pickup a big part of what this bass is?

It’s a feature... and a bug. ;)

Kidding (kinda. I hate low output pickups).

Low impedance is not the same as Low Output, it only means it does not come out as a Hi Impedance signal like most passive instruments but with a signal similar to a Microphone called Low Impedance, or Lo-z . This means no loss of headroom through the cable. Normally you can only use a Low Impedance pickups if you have an XLR input in your amp.

It is an alternative to an active electronic without all the artifacts. Jonas Hellborg who is a massive tone geek use them.

The only issue is not everyone has an XLR input on their bass amp.

Just to go full circle on this: the JCB-1 pickup in the Jack Casady bass is in fact a low output, low impedance, pickup- but what some folks mistake as a varitone control on these basses is actually a 3 position transformer impedance control that lets you increase the output impedance. Raising the impedance also raises the output level and changes the tonal characteristics- the output gets louder and more aggressive as the numbers go up from 50-250-500. The little internal transformer box isn't working that hard (so while it might in some sense work hardest in one of those positions, it is not going to heat up or burn out, etc.) and no batteries, special cable etc. is required.

I still have a black righty that I've kept around (see below). It puts out some very nice vintage-y rock/ blues tones- deep and dark, yet punchy, clear and audible- not muddy. The build quality and fretwork are all very good, and I like the feel /balance/ playability of the design in general- slightly chunky neck profile, but very comfortable once you're on it for a bit. It weighs in at exactly 8lbs. on the bathroom scale. Really the only thing I don't like about it is that its right handed. I'd definitely be up for a lefty if/when they're available.

Regarding the pickup, etc. here's some quotes from Casady:

“I went to work on the pickup and it took almost two years to develop,” says Casady. “I did a lot of homework and bench testing and finally when it clicked in right, it was great.” The Jack Casady Signature bass features a JCB-1 low impedance, low output pickup and employs a three-position transformer to shape the frequency response. “They blow the old Gibsons to smithereens, even in the construction,” says Casady.

BTW, he plays these unmodified "right out of the box". “Every year I get two new instruments that I take out on the road,” says Casady. “No ringers. I have none that are set up a special way or anything like that and they are great.” And another FYI: his preferred strings for this bass are Dean Markley "Blue Steel" rounds, Medium Light. Gauges: E-105; A-80; D-65; G-45.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2020, 12:41 pm 

Anyone here managed to place an order?
Looks like they only have one more available.

PostPosted: April 5th, 2020, 4:43 pm 

paulo wrote:
Looks like they only have one more available.

Is that “1” just a placeholder? I thought they weren’t even going to be available until sometime in May?

PostPosted: April 6th, 2020, 7:33 pm 

Not yet, but I'm with Matt- if I'm still employed, I'll get one when available in the US.