LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 6:59 pm

Post subject: 2 - count 'em - 2 lefty Foderas in 1 shop
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 5:15 am 

Not sure if anybody else has spotted these but here ya go:

http://www.planetbass.com/basses_fodera.htm

An Emperor 5 with a flame koa top and an NYC.

Post subject: Re: 2 - count 'em - 2 lefty Foderas in 1 shop
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 10:14 am 

Odd how the info accompanying the Emperor II says it's "in stock", but the specs read "call to specify" on the inventory page, as if it can still be specced to order. When you actually click it though, you get a full list of all the specs :?

PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 10:46 am 

The Foderas are nice but cost an arm and a leg... You wont even want to take it out of the case in fear or a surface ding....
Oh screw it, what a hell of a bass. :shock:

PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 12:02 pm 

Not to rain on any parade but its a comparison of Fodera NYC = Sadowsky Metro Line vs' Emperor 5 vs' Top of the line period. The price for Fodera's is off the hook. Don't get me wrong, they are nice basses but if you want a REAL Fodera, the Emperor 5 or II neck-thru is it. Its got the Mike Pope 3-Band EQ. That EQ is great. I just do not understand the price points on the Fodera basses as they are top of "boutique" as is Alembic. They are great but soo damn expensive. Of course this is only subject to my opinion. What do I know.... I only own 12 basses :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 1:35 pm 

well, for one thing, fodera is located in NYC isn't it? That would drive up his overhead. And don't they limit the number of basses produced per year? That would also compound the pricing issue.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2009, 5:33 pm 

Yes AzWhoFan, that makes sense but still a lot of loot! I know.. everything that comes from NY is a lot of loot. But it sure is good. Wish I had 7500 disposable cash......

PostPosted: June 28th, 2009, 8:40 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Wish I had 7500 disposable cash......

you ain't whistlin' Dixie there, m'man!

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 6:20 pm 

Yeah, I called and asked about the Emporer... it was like $8000 with OHSC.

Uhhhh... no thanks.

:cry:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: June 29th, 2009, 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

Addison wrote:
Yeah, I called and asked about the Emporer... it was like $8000 with OHSC.

Uhhhh... no thanks.

:cry:

Ask them if they'd knock $6,000 off if you got it without the case. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 2:00 am 

Didn't really know much about Foderas until I saw footage of Wooten playing one. I have a serious question, but before asking it (and in order to demonstrate that I'm serious) I'll just give a brief snapshot of some of my instrument collection along with approximate sale/replacement values:-

1984 Wal Custom 4 with Wenge and an Ebony board (Approx. value $4000 - $4500);

2005 SEI Original 5 headless with Walnut and an Ebony board (Approx. value $3500 - $4000);

1985 Cherry Red Gibson 335 dot (Approx. value $3000 - $3500).

Not all of them by any means, but it'll do...

My question - given that the above are individually made (and in some cases unique) instruments and/or use some pretty exotic tonewoods and all are pretty much as well made as any human being is entitled to expect, what makes the Foderas worth twice as much as any of them? I say this not out of jealousy (I'm a great admirer of Victor's playing but have no particular desire to sound like him), but out of genuine curiosity. Or is it one of those 'if you have to ask you'll never know' things?

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 11:04 am 

leftybassman392 wrote:
Didn't really know much about Foderas until I saw footage of Wooten playing one. I have a serious question, but before asking it (and in order to demonstrate that I'm serious) I'll just give a brief snapshot of some of my instrument collection along with approximate sale/replacement values:-

1984 Wal Custom 4 with Wenge and an Ebony board (Approx. value $4000 - $4500);

2005 SEI Original 5 headless with Walnut and an Ebony board (Approx. value $3500 - $4000);

1985 Cherry Red Gibson 335 dot (Approx. value $3000 - $3500).

Not all of them by any means, but it'll do...

My question - given that the above are individually made (and in some cases unique) instruments and/or use some pretty exotic tonewoods and all are pretty much as well made as any human being is entitled to expect, what makes the Foderas worth twice as much as any of them? I say this not out of jealousy (I'm a great admirer of Victor's playing but have no particular desire to sound like him), but out of genuine curiosity. Or is it one of those 'if you have to ask you'll never know' things?

What makes a Fodera worth twice as much as any of those all comes down to perceived value in the eye of the consumer and his/her needs, nothing more. They're a boutique company, meaning they've positioned themselves in the market as makers of finely crafted, high end hand made instruments, following suit of other companies like Alembic. Are they better or worth the price of other basses costing much less? Well, only you can make that determination and how much added value you get within your affordable means. For every player who swears by a boutique instrument and feels that the extra cost is worth it (I was never in this camp until I found my Ken Smith), there's an equal number (or higher) of players who are perfectly happy making music with a $200 Squire (and doing it well too).

A Toyota Corolla will get to and from wherever you need to go rather efficiently, but it is nice to drive a Lamborghini once in a while too. ;)

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Plus, like Sadowsky, you pay more for Fodera basses than similar builders because Fodera opts to remain based in downtown NYC and the gigantic rent that comes with that decision is in part passed on in their instrument prices. The idea being they commit to being based in the heart of where their NY clients live and make music.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2009, 9:56 pm 

ya know, I've played lots of righty Sadowsky's, and they did absolutely nothing for me. That's not to knock the craftsmanship, the quality is right up there. I just haven't ever found one that turned my crank.

Part of their price is also in their reputation. I believe I read somewhere that they got their start because union musicians in N.Y.C are/were required to play "Fender style" basses for some gigs. To make a long story short, whilst being a repair guy Mr. S found a market for his fenderish looking basses and his reputation spread as one of the first builders who could out-Fender Fender.

And then there's that dreaded rent factor :mrgreen: