Image Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Fender Precision Elite II 1983
PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 7:04 pm 

Well you don’t see those every day

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2018, 7:54 pm 

I had one. You either love or hate that neck. I despised it. In '84 I traded it in for a MIJ Jazz bass, and that was the end of that.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 1:55 am 

Is the price for that acceptable seems awful high to me. Not sure what it is in US$ but it shows $3172 Australian.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 6:00 am 

Sold by weight, not volume.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 6:23 am 

Grant wrote:
Is the price for that acceptable seems awful high to me. Not sure what it is in US$ but it shows $3172 Australian.

$2,400 US.

I'm curious, but not THAT curious. I figure if it were awesome then there would be more of them around.

Although I'm pretty sure I remember seeing one in Carmine's collection (of course :D).

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 6:27 am 

I agree it is rather high as it shows $2400 +$150 Shipping in the US, the bass is being sold out of Canada. I guess they are hoping as it is rare that someone will pay a premium. However rare and premium do not always equate.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 6:41 am 

I’ve always been curious about what that pickup combo sounds like (or just dual precision pickups in general).

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 7:31 am 

I own one of these. Super rare lefty. I've only seen one other and that was Carmine's, until this one now. Only in black too. They also came in a walnut finish with gold hardware, but I've never seen one lefty.

Nearly every element of these basses is proprietary. I believe it's the first bass Fender made with an active preamp. The high mass bridge has 4 little thumbscrews for micro tuning (pointless, but unique), the tuners were ultra lite Schallers, the covered PUPs with the P/P layout, the treaded rubber ringed knobs, etc. The electronics are confusing. Something about being able to set your tones and then lock them in via the switches for later access, but I could never figure it out, LOL. The neck is a super wide C with a flat radius, and you either love it or hate it, as danomite said. Killer tones, very punchy, especially great for slapping.

$2400+ might seem high, but this is a very hard to find rare lefty.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 11:01 am 

A lefty elite?

Fox News must hate this bass.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 11:03 am 

Never seen a lefty one of these before.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 11:43 am 

bbl wrote:
A lefty elite?

Bravo :lol:

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 11:53 am 

bbl wrote:
A lefty elite?

Oh you! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 26th, 2018, 12:12 pm 

I kinda like double P pups. They sound really big together.

The $2,400 is steep rare or not. The serial number engraved in the side of the body. That alone lowered the value a LOT IMO. On another note, these are pretty cool but never had the opportunity to try one. My friend has one (righty) and doesn't really care for it. I cant comment since I never heard it. Curious tho.

Attachments:
serial.jpg
serial.jpg [ 64.89 KiB | Viewed 8495 times ]
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 11:51 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
I own one of these. Super rare lefty. I've only seen one other and that was Carmine's, until this one now. Only in black too. They also came in a walnut finish with gold hardware, but I've never seen one lefty.

Nearly every element of these basses is proprietary. I believe it's the first bass Fender made with an active preamp. The high mass bridge has 4 little thumbscrews for micro tuning (pointless, but unique), the tuners were ultra lite Schallers, the covered PUPs with the P/P layout, the treaded rubber ringed knobs, etc. The electronics are confusing. Something about being able to set your tones and then lock them in via the switches for later access, but I could never figure it out, LOL. The neck is a super wide C with a flat radius, and you either love it or hate it, as danomite said. Killer tones, very punchy, especially great for slapping.

$2400+ might seem high, but this is a very hard to find rare lefty.

The Elites were actually the second Fender basses to feature active circuity – the first was the Precision Bass Special (1980-83) which the Elites replaced in the lineup. For me the most outstanding feature of the Elite II is the active electronics: the 9v preamp and double stacked split coils are an excellent sounding combination- broad tonal range, balanced and articulate with great punch and clarity across a full spectrum of crisp highs to warm, rich lows- no dirt or growl here. I have flatwounds on mine with low action, and that really works well for this bass. On the other hand, the control configuration is indeed a bit odd: a volume control for each pickup; a standard 3-way pickup selector toggle; and one master tone control- with a second 3-way toggle (called a tone assignment switch). This toggle "assigns" the tone control to either one or both pickups. It would have been a lot simpler to just have 2 separate tone controls but...oh well. It takes some fiddling around getting used to and figuring out how to blend pickups, volume and tone to find your sweet spots. They're all in there, but when I haven't played it for awhile I have to to re-familiarize myself with this arrangement. Would be a really killer bass in the studio, but would be a bit of a pain to make adjustments on the fly in a live setting.

Other features include the high-mass bridge with fine-tuning knobs, which does what its supposed to do, but is unnecessarily busy (high-end bridge tech has definitely improved since the 80's!) and the die cast tuners which work fine. As PJ points out the neck is typical 80's P bass wide and a not overly thick c shape, it actually does have some decent radius to it, but it's so wide that you may not notice, lol- takes some getting used to but it is very stable and not too uncomfortable once you adjust to it. Mine weighs in at 9.5 lbs, so it's not excessively heavy.

In summary I think that the Elite II Precision achieved Fender's goal of being familiar while at the same time offering innovative high-end features and versatility that distinctly differentiated it from your standard 80's P bass. But given its short production run (1982- 84 IIRC) it tends to go somewhat overlooked in Fender's history.

A right hander in good to very good condition typically goes anywhere from $1100 to $1500. A $900 premium for a lefty seems pretty steep to me- but with so few lefties being made I suppose someone might pay it if this bass is on their "bucket list".

Image Image

PostPosted: March 6th, 2018, 10:26 pm 

Here's a great youtube video... a lot of great sounds in this bass! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXAvbRHwDM