LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 10:51 pm

Post subject: Stingray 5 a little hinky
PostPosted: August 29th, 2014, 7:33 am 

This one is odd. Fingerboard looks to be Pau Ferro and NO dots . Most likely a factory fretless with an aftermarket fret job. Nice Birdseye maple neck. But with so many photos you gotta wonder why no mention of fret job?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Music-Man- ... 233fd1661c

Post subject: Re: Stingray 5 a little hinky
PostPosted: August 29th, 2014, 8:34 am 

If it was a factory fretless the dots would most likely be ON the fret lines, as opposed to here where they appear to be in a standard fretted position.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2014, 8:37 am 

markcv wrote:
If it was a factory fretless the dots would most likely be ON the fret lines, as opposed to here where they appear to be in a standard fretted position.

So you think it was possibly a special order lefty with no fingerboard dots and a pau ferro board? Did EB do that in the nineties? If so that's a pretty rare bird.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2014, 7:22 pm 

I would say fretless converted I'm 99% sure. The fretwork is terrible they never trimmed the fret tang and it looks like there are fret sprouts everywhere along the neck hence the finish chipping and peeling off up and down the neck around the fret ends. The carved into the fretboard slots behind the nut is also a special touch. I’m no expert but from owning a few MusicMan SR5s even though I was never really impressed with the overall build quality but they would have never allowed a fret job like that out the door. I really only had issue with string spacing at the bridge and neck angle the fretwork was always stellar. That’s a “convert” that had fret markers or lines on the front that's why the dots are in their normal place.…

It looks to be set up great........... for bow and arrow.

The seller is a good guy I have never bought from him as is prices push the ceiling as far as price and sometimes on occasion his listing have been less than accurate but I don't think it was intentional but to get the most for the listing without 100% research. He had a Ken Smith Burner bass listed up the other day at USA pricing and it had a few pieces of USA hardware but was obviously not a USA.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2014, 10:55 pm 

markcv wrote:

If the fretless board has fretlines, the side dots are typically in between the fretlines (same position as a fretted neck). That's been my experience, at least.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2014, 6:59 pm 

As per bbl's post, you would see the position dots here if it was a lined fretless.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2014, 5:20 pm 

thumbslam wrote:
I would say fretless converted I'm 99% sure. The fretwork is terrible they never trimmed the fret tang and it looks like there are fret sprouts everywhere along the neck hence the finish chipping and peeling off up and down the neck around the fret ends. The carved into the fretboard slots behind the nut is also a special touch. I’m no expert but from owning a few MusicMan SR5s even though I was never really impressed with the overall build quality but they would have never allowed a fret job like that out the door. I really only had issue with string spacing at the bridge and neck angle the fretwork was always stellar. That’s a “convert” that had fret markers or lines on the front that's why the dots are in their normal place.…

It looks to be set up great........... for bow and arrow.

The seller is a good guy I have never bought from him as is prices push the ceiling as far as price and sometimes on occasion his listing have been less than accurate but I don't think it was intentional but to get the most for the listing without 100% research. He had a Ken Smith Burner bass listed up the other day at USA pricing and it had a few pieces of USA hardware but was obviously not a USA.

he has lots of quality items, I know his front yard by now.
but sometimes he sells lemons, he had that "soon to be two" rickenbacker a few months back.
gosh, do they really fret fret less basses? that's hella dumb.