This is very, very nice!

http://www.drumcityguitarland.com/drumc ... 88C81.aspx

Post subject: Re: Fender Custom Shop P-Bass
PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Nice but pricey.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2013, 1:22 pm 

Not that I would ever consider spending $4000 on a bass in my reality, but that's really nice! And although we all know that Fender Custom Shop is overpriced, their prices are not that bad when you consider Sadowsky, Alleva-Coppolo, or even Lull. A new Lull can reach $4000 in no time. . .

PostPosted: April 1st, 2013, 10:16 am 
His Majesty
His Majesty

I know it's a relic but wondering if this one is understood to be previously owned or new? Just curious if there's any premium assumed if new. Been out of the loop on CS stuff for a while.

Back around '97/'98 "masterbuilt" basses could be had (new) for 2,000ish depending on appointments. Unless one got really out there you could easily get a MB bass for well under 3k new thru a dealer. I don't believe it was possible to spend more than $2500 on a teambuilt anything (especially bass). Granted the TB selection was much smaller then.

15 years ago not very many people including seasoned Fender dealer employees and experienced players knew what a CS was. Today everyone knows all about the CS and who works there and used to work there and all kinds of minutiae. Plus, now it seems like there's tens of thousands of CS instruments with stores full of them including a vast teambuilt selection. Almost glut-like.

If my impression is accurate (and it may not be) it is remarkable that Fender has pulled off increasing the supply and price.

Beautiful bass though.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 5:02 am 

cool bass !! but at that price i prefer to buy an original vintage one.

a few weeks ago two lefty CS basses (a 57 P and a 64 J) sold on ebay for something around 1400 £ each if i remember correctly.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2013, 7:38 am 

KingOfAmps wrote:
Back around '97/'98 "masterbuilt" basses could be had (new) for 2,000ish depending on appointments. Unless one got really out there you could easily get a MB bass for well under 3k new thru a dealer. I don't believe it was possible to spend more than $2500 on a teambuilt anything (especially bass). Granted the TB selection was much smaller then.

Masterbuilt basses start at around $5K these days... the bass at Drumcityguitarland is a team built custom, which retails for around $4K.

Obviously, things have changed a lot in 15 years. :lol:

cangaroo wrote:
cool bass !! but at that price i prefer to buy an original vintage one.

An original lefty '58 p-bass would probably set you back $15K-$20K... if any even exist. At that price, this bass is a bargain... and probably has better construction.

The only basses comparable in price to this bass are currently early 70's basses in mint condition, and I'd honestly rather have this bass than 90% of the 70's basses built.

Just my opinion, of course.

If I had the dough, I'd buy this bass in a second... or, what I'd really do is order one to my specs I suppose.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4