LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 9:29 am

Post subject: Gibson Firebird
PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 6:23 pm 

Hey all,
I am on the hunt for a Gibson Firebird. They seem to be hard to find, as the only model I can find are the 70s Tribute models, and they just aren't the caliber of guitar I would be happy with.

Let me know if you have one you are willing to part with or know where I can get one!

In all my sesrching, I found ONE:

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/5673360178.html

I am hesitant to contact him to see if he will ship because I live 1000 miles away and would have no recourse if the deal goes bad.

I can buy outright, or trade a Rick!

Thanks!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

Post subject: Re: Gibson Firebird
PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 4:51 am 

How bout this one. I think the price is right on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEFT-HANDED-GIBSON-USA-THUNDERBIRD-BASS-2013-LEFTY-THUNDERBIRD-MINT-CONDITION-/191927903852

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 5:04 am 

Sorry, misread T Bird for Firebird. Good luck on the hunt they are very hard to find as I have been looking since I got my T Bird from a board member a few years back.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 8:43 am 

bobjones2260 wrote:
Sorry, misread T Bird for Firebird. Good luck on the hunt they are very hard to find as I have been looking since I got my T Bird from a board member a few years back.

Ha! I almost did the same thing Bob.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 9:22 am 

No worries! I was prepared for that! :lol:

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 6:47 pm 

Whatever you do don't even consider an Epiphone Firebird VII. I had one for less than 2 years. Even put a Gibson mini-humbucker with adjustable polepieces in bridge position and.... nothing. Junk.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 8:20 pm 

I had pretty well decided on a Gibson, anyway. But, the Epiphone Les Paul I had was a good guitar, so I might have been willing to give one a try. Thanks for the warning!

The 70s Tribute models felt pretty cheapish, as well (to me, anyway).

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 8:15 pm 

I thought the only lefty Firebirds that Gibson offered were the Tributes? Are you sure the one on craig's list isn't a Tribute?

There's this one on eBay now, but looks like it's been upgraded with Duncan antiquities and I'm not sure it isn't a Tribute too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Handed-Gib ... SwqfNXmTxe

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 9:27 pm 

That is a Tribute on eBay, yes. You can tell because the top of the body is flat, whereas the wings on the body of the standard Firebird are slightly thinner than the center piece, like a Thunderbird.

Also, you can see in the eBay listing that the Tribute has "regular" geared tuners. The standard Firebird has Steinberger gearless tuners.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2016, 4:22 am 

Not too sure I want to get your hope too high but it may be worth starting to save $$.

Jimmy at Southpaw on his Facebook Page is stating that Gibson is going to manufacture US Firebirds, Flying V's and Explorers.

It may be worth contacting Jimmy at Southpaw and see if they are taking deposits for the Firebird, in the FB post Jimmy notes that this info is coming from Leftyfretz.com

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=southpaw%20guitars

PostPosted: October 12th, 2016, 5:58 am 

bobjones2260 wrote:
Jimmy at Southpaw on his Facebook Page is stating that Gibson is going to manufacture US Firebirds, Flying V's and Explorers.

Thanks, Bob!
Gibson has already decided to only produce lefty Les Pauls and SGs this time around. No matter, I found a Warmoth Firebird on eBay a couple months ago: