LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 3:02 am

Post subject: Vanderkley (or otherwise awesome ) cabinets
PostPosted: April 28th, 2016, 9:20 pm 

Hi all,
I am looking for some nice cabinets. I am hoping to find some Vanderkely, preferably a 2x10 and a 1x12, but they don't seem to be very common, so I am open to suggestions. Certainly, I would like something with a horn.

As far as sound characteristics and quality, I know very little about cabinet brands, really. I do understand impedance, so I can spare you the trouble of going in to all of that. :D

Let me know what you have, and if you are open to trades!

- Conley
conley.flake@gmail.com

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

Post subject: Re: Vanderkley (or otherwise awesome ) cabinets
PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 6:03 am 

Maybe take a look on the Dutch market if the shipping is not too bad, they're made here. There's a 112 for sale here:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/z.html?query= ... &postcode=

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 6:14 am 

Have you considered a Greenboy? I've always wanted to build one from a kit (about half the price of a pre-assembled one).

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 7:05 am 

tim wrote:
Have you considered a Greenboy? I've always wanted to build one from a kit (about half the price of a pre-assembled one).

I can't say I have heard of them.

Jeroen wrote:
Maybe take a look on the Dutch market if the shipping is not too bad, they're made here. There's a 112 for sale here:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/z.html?query= ... &postcode=

Wow, what a sweet cab! Thanks for the tip, man! It comes out to $628 before shipping. Yikes.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

Last edited by superheavydeathmetal on April 29th, 2016, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 7:09 am 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:

Quick primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YUbQyK5Ls

Here's one source for kits: http://www.speakerhardware.com/products.php?cat=146

The actual Greenboy site kinda sucks, but gets the job done: http://greenboy.us

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:20 am 

tim wrote:
superheavydeathmetal wrote:

Quick primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YUbQyK5Ls

Here's one source for kits: http://www.speakerhardware.com/products.php?cat=146

The actual Greenboy site kinda sucks, but gets the job done: http://greenboy.us

Wow, that video is quite the plug! He says that all of the drivers are extremely high-quality components. That makes me very interested. Of course, by the time I buy the necessary tools to put a kit together, I haven't saved much. :lol:

I am also not sure what all of the options mean on the Speaker Hardware website. :D

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:37 am 

So, you want a 2x10 AND a 1x12, or are you looking at one or the other? Just curious.

Anyway, just be forewarned about some boutique bass cabs... when taken care of, speaker cabs built with high quality components should last forever, so that makes resale on them generally very good. You're probably not going to find an amazing deal on something like Vanderkley or Bergantino cabs.

I recently listed a pair of Bergantino CN112 cabs (which have been discontinued) for $1250 and I got 3 offers for my selling price in less than 2 hours.

The fEARful cabs are absolutely amazing, but they're also pretty polarizing... the people who love them really, REALLY love them. Others have been turned off by the amount of detail in their voice. They're basically like an incredibly high end studio reference monitor as a bass cab. The amount of detail in one of those cabs is ridiculous, and many people have found out how to use that detail to their advantage. Others are simply in love with a more simple setup... it's what our ears have grown accustomed to, so it makes sense when people are drawn to that.

Anyway, I know Marc Vanderkley... if you're serious about getting a cab, I can reach out to him for you.

If he's not willing to sell direct, he could probably tell me if he knows anyone in the states that has store stock, or he might even have a lead on a used cab.

Let me know and I'll help how I can.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:41 am 

No doubt it would be a project. But I actually think you would still save a lot of money, assuming you rented or borrowed the power tools instead of buying them outright.

There's a lot of info in forums dedicated to these cabs, with a fair number of folks building them from scratch from the designs on the Greenboy website (which was kind of the idea, although you can buy them preassembled from authorized builders).

But if you're really serious, I would just call up the guys at SpeakerHardware and go through the options with them.

My brother and I have been talking for a while about building a stereo pair of F112s to share. But it's proving difficult to find a weekend we're both free with the cash to spare at the same time :) And my current household carpentry project is finishing the tortoise enclosure I started when I was on family leave when my 10-month old was born--yeah, life is a bit of a blur right now :P But someday, F112s, dammit!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 8:43 am 

FWIW, I have also lusted after the Vanderklay's, and the prices in Jeroen's link aren't too shabby!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 2:11 pm 

Thanks for the information and suggestions, guys! Do you think my quest is worth the effort, or do you think I would be just as happy with something like a Markbass 102P?

Addison wrote:
So, you want a 2x10 AND a 1x12, or are you looking at one or the other? Just curious.

I know Marc Vanderkley... if you're serious about getting a cab, I can reach out to him for you.

If he's not willing to sell direct, he could probably tell me if he knows anyone in the states that has store stock, or he might even have a lead on a used cab.

Let me know and I'll help how I can.

Wow, I really appreciate that, man! I didn't know Vanderkley is a boutique brand of cabinet. I just heard a clip that had a sound I like. I guess I would just start out with the 2x10. I am not in a band, so I don't think having a 2x10 and a 1x12 would do me any good, do you? If I ever do join a band, maybe I will add a 1x12 for some extra oomph.

tim wrote:
But if you're really serious, I would just call up the guys at SpeakerHardware and go through the options with them.!

I may do that!

PostPosted: April 29th, 2016, 3:32 pm 

I am reading a lot of positive reviews on Bergantino. I may have to jump on this:

https://reverb.com/item/2150449-bergant ... ss-cabinet

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2016, 1:28 pm 

Addison wrote:
The fEARful cabs are absolutely amazing, but they're also pretty polarizing... the people who love them really, REALLY love them.

you can include me in the group of folks who really love them :-)
I'm currently running a Fearless 115, and other than it's about 9 lbs over what my therapist say I'm supposed to be lifting, I have absolutely NO complaints.

Addison wrote:
Others have been turned off by the amount of detail in their voice. They're basically like an incredibly high end studio reference monitor as a bass cab. The amount of detail in one of those cabs is ridiculous, and many people have found out how to use that detail to their advantage. Others are simply in love with a more simple setup... it's what our ears have grown accustomed to, so it makes sense when people are drawn to that.

I'm fortunate enough to live about 2 stones throw away from one of the GB builders (Jhawk) and have had the opportunity to check out all of GB's Fearless line (haven't tried any of the fEARFULs). there's not a dog in the bunch IMHO. I had the F210 and sold it because a) the F210 wasn't moving enough air for my needs and b) Don Barry had the F115 ready to go from a customer cancellation. I still pine for the F210 because it delivered all the articulation I could ever want from a cab. Totally blew my mind when I ran my assortment of pedals thru it. Not to say the F115 isn't as articulate, to my ears it's just voices a tad differently due to it being a 1x15 cab vs a 2x10 cab.