LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:09 pm

Post subject: 5-string P bass?
PostPosted: March 4th, 2016, 10:25 pm 

Just wondering what options are out there for us lefties if -- ideally -- I'm interested in a 5-string P bass (lower B). As far as I can tell, a lefty doesn't exist. What does?

Post subject: Re: 5-string P bass?
PostPosted: March 5th, 2016, 4:20 am 

rdavidson wrote:
Just wondering what options are out there for us lefties if -- ideally -- I'm interested in a 5-string P bass (lower B). As far as I can tell, a lefty doesn't exist. What does?

close enough :geek: :lol:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S143-SCHECTER-L ... 2518.l4276

PostPosted: March 5th, 2016, 11:53 pm 

Ha, thanks! And I swear I do know how to search the internet. ;-) Prefer non-active electronics but for that price I guess we'll take what we can get! Still wondering if there are other options?

PostPosted: March 6th, 2016, 4:22 pm 

rdavidson wrote:
Ha, thanks! And I swear I do know how to search the internet. ;-) Prefer non-active electronics but for that price I guess we'll take what we can get! Still wondering if there are other options?

Did you try Warmoth? http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Deluxe5/Deluxe5P.aspx

PostPosted: March 7th, 2016, 12:14 pm 

Great idea to explore Warmoth! You can tell I haven't given this much thought... just some preliminary thinking... thanks!

PostPosted: March 7th, 2016, 2:10 pm 

Carvin. Look no further: http://www.kieselguitars.com/customshop/pb_series_classic_basses

I have a JB5 that has been my main player for about a year, and it's been a great workhorse. I got the lightweight ash body option with chambers, and it's around 8.5 lb. I took the preamp out and made it passive, and it works great for me.

I love the neck profile and the B-string is -really- good for a 34" scale bass. Quality is good for the price. A P-Bass model with passive electronics would be pretty affordable.

If you want something more fancy, a Mike Lull would be my next choice, but that's in the $3K range.

Warmoth is an option, but after you are done, it'll probably cost you $1200+, and their 5-string neck profiles, as I understand, are chunky, with no option to order something thinner. Carvin 5-string necks are a joy to play.

This company below also makes all kinds of lefties, including 5-string P-Bass. You can choose electronics, neck profiles, string spacing, nut width, you name it. . . I'm really close to pulling the trigger and ordering something from them. Although Carvin has the advantage of the 10 day trial period.

http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/5-string

And if you want something nicer that is between Carvin and Lull, you could consider Valenti basses: http://www.valentibasses.com/

PostPosted: March 8th, 2016, 11:30 am 

I got a 5 String (high B) J Bass from Valenti, they are great basses for the price. Shame Fender ADE does not have a 5 sting option.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2016, 11:11 am 

There's another Schecter at Southpaw:

https://www.southpawguitars.com/schecte ... tring.html

I believe it's passive: Vol / Vol / Tone with a push-pull for series / parallel.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 7:50 am 

Here you are, exactly the same as the one here above but cheaper...

A wonderful bass! Used to have the 4 strings version, super versatile sound for a non-active...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ms ... 06658.html

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2016, 7:36 am 

Check the "southpaw spotted" ad I just posted...

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 12:03 pm 

Yolly111 wrote:
Here you are, exactly the same as the one here above but cheaper...

A wonderful bass! Used to have the 4 strings version, super versatile sound for a non-active...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ms ... 06658.html

Just a heads up, it looks like part of the tone pot shaft (the pot nearest the bridge) is missing on that bass. The pictures are pretty low resolution, so it might just be missing the knob, but it looks broken to me.

The tone pot on these are push-pull to switch between dual-coil and single-coil mode for the bridge pickup. I own one of these, and I just plugged mine in to try to confirm if the pot is right-hand or left-hand audio taper. Most of the tone control's effective range happens in a small percentage of the pot's travel, so I think they just used the right-hand pot and swapped the wires on the outer lugs. That's kind of a good thing in this case, since right-hand push-pull pots are easy to find.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 2:45 pm 

Sorry, but please look at Southpaw Spotted, this bass is not what I thought it is. Plus, it is a complete mess. To avoid...

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 7:38 pm 

Yolly111 wrote:
Sorry, but please look at Southpaw Spotted, this bass is not what I thought it is. Plus, it is a complete mess. To avoid...

I was following that thread too. That bass actually looks good from a distance in the original picture on the web site, but once you get up close... :shock:

I just figured I would mention the tone pot on the Craigslist listing in case the OP was thinking about buying it. It's actually not that big a deal, a replacement pot can be had for around $10 if you're handy with a soldering iron. I can't speak for the new active version of this bass, but the passive version is exactly what I was looking for in a passive 5-string P-bass. I'm not a fan of the bridge pickup, but I usually just turn it down and pretend it's not there. :) My only complaint is the weight, mine weighs about 12 pounds!