LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 22nd, 2024, 3:54 am

Post subject: Anyone got rickenbackers, ric copies, etc? Let me know
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2014, 6:08 pm 

I just got rid of two old basses, so I'm in the market for another onstage axe. Show me your rickenbackers or ric copies if need be and a price. I'm open to basically anything ric-shaped, lol. Entertaining whatever offers, but not in a huge rush.

Post subject: Re: Anyone got rickenbackers, ric copies, etc? Let me know
PostPosted: September 24th, 2014, 7:39 am 

I am not selling my Ric's but a few suggestions

Contact Pic of the Ric's nothing on the web page but they may have something on order and great person to speak with about anything Ric http://www.pickofthericks.com

Contact Guitar Showcase in San Jose, someone on the board noted they have one there at a fair price. http://www.guitarshowcase.com/left-land.html

There is one at gbase but prices is a little high but it's vintage.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2014, 7:56 am 

MetalMilitia wrote:
I just got rid of two old basses, so I'm in the market for another onstage axe. Show me your rickenbackers or ric copies if need be and a price. I'm open to basically anything ric-shaped, lol. Entertaining whatever offers, but not in a huge rush.

Here's a more affordable option if you're not set on a "real" Ric @ Adirondack Guitars http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/d ... c_bass.htm

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 12:36 pm 

You could also look on Alibaba, the chinese 3bay, there's many different copies. A guy on another forum bought a Lemmy rick copy and is pretty satisfied with it.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 9:53 pm 

I'd personally go Alibaba sooner than adironack: IMO that Dillon is too far off to be any good to anyone as a Rick clone, and too obviously an attempt at a Ric clone to be any good as just another bass.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 2:01 am 

MetalMilitia wrote:

MetalMilitia, i don't know if you're into McCartney but if so, my Rick copy is still for sale.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3902

Keep in mind that the bass is located in North Italy.

M

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 6:35 am 

I stumbled upon this Rick copy a couple weeks ago, they have several other versions listed too. I'm not sure I'd spend money for it, but if you do please let me know how it turns out! :D

http://www.dhgate.com/product/left-hand ... 4148810126

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 3:50 pm 

Well that's an interesting one - certainly not rid style p'ups more MM style. Total gamble on how it sounds and the quality i would think.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 4:37 pm 

Cheap fivers are almost always a disappointment

PostPosted: September 28th, 2014, 7:55 pm 

I tend to agree with you, which is why I haven't ordered one. That said, I have one of the Bryce short-scale 5-strings from Rondo Music, and I've been happy with it. It definitely required plenty of setup upon arrival though.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2014, 8:20 am 

I have a 1979 4001 MapleGlo with black pickguard and binding that I would be willing to give a pretty good deal on. It is in pretty good shape, it is entirely functional, plays even better and has lower action than my 4003 and 4001v63. I has no cracks or chips, but it does have some some quirks to it:

• A previous owner did some re-wiring, and did a pretty sloppy job of it at that, with prolific gobs of solder, but all of the electronics do work as they should.
• A previous owner added the old .0047uf capacitor in series with the bridge pickup.
• I think the pickguard is aftermarket because it doesn't quite line up with the holes.
• I think the neck pickup is not the original.
• The pickguard is cracked at both pickup adjustment screws of the neck pickup. I think this is because a previous owner tried to raise the neck pickup too high.
• The tuning knobs don't turn very smooth, but they work and the instrument stays in tune.
• The jack plate doesn't fit very flush against the body, so the corners stick out and can slice things if you're not careful - I put a little scrape in my parents' leather couch :oops: I put some scotch tape over the corners.

All of those are pretty minor really, and don't add up to much on the whole. Like I said, it plays great and it's all Rick. It comes with a heavy-duty gig bag (not some cheap tube sock with a zipper).

If you interested I will send you some pictures. I don't think I'd want to take much less than $1700.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2014, 10:47 pm 
Site Admin

Did you find a Rickenbacker yet?

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 12:59 am 

I know this thread is a bit old but I just stumbled on this site through Talkbass, the guy who ordered from here had good things to say about the quality. Seems like a significantly safer bet then ordering Chinese.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/bass-guitar-kits/pit-bull-guitars-rc-4l-electric-bass-guitar-kit-left-handed/

PostPosted: April 5th, 2015, 1:21 am 

I don't have a Ric myself SO I went into Autocad and drew some lines on a picture of a Ric

Comparing that to the known length of a Ric pickup, sourced from Bartolini diagrams, I estimate the length of a Ric pickup surround at 4.2 in. According to Bartolini a jazz bridge pup is 4.1 in. If anyone feels like measuring their Ric and letting me know if I'm close, that would be neat. Based on that estimate, though, you should be able to cover up the jazz-pup bridge rout with a standard Ric pup surround and get the thing looking authentic-at-a-glance.