LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:35 am

Post subject: 4 string Bongo
PostPosted: December 6th, 2008, 10:06 am 

Well, anyone got one for sale? Any color.

Andy

Post subject: Re: 4 string Bongo
PostPosted: December 6th, 2008, 1:46 pm 
King of Lefthanzia
King of Lefthanzia

Bass Central is having a big EBMM blow out sale right now, they might have one. Beaver posted about it over at the EBMM forum.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2008, 3:00 pm 

+1 on Bass Central. They probably offer the best prices. That's where I bought my B 4 string Bongo (Mine's the Egyptian Smoke one they have pictured in their "Lefties" section).

The Perfect Bass (http://www.theperfectbass.com) also has 1 in stock. If you enter the promotional code, "talkbass" at checkout the total price comes out to about $1443. But I still think you could do better with Bass Central. Southpaw Guitars (http://www.southpawguitars.net) and Drum City Guitarland (http://www.drumcityguitarland.com) also have them, but they're more expensive.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2008, 10:38 am 

Bass Central may have the best prices, but I've had some questionable experiences there that lefties can appreciate (see below). I just bought from DrumCity/GuitarLand and they were great. I bet they are willing to meet price too. The Pefect Bass is also a great shop that focuses on the customer IMHO, plus they have a best price guarantee, so they're flexible.

My Bass Central story:
"Back in the day", maybe 2002-ish(?), I was on the hunt for an NS EUB lefty. There was one at the NS factory in Maine according to a couple of retailers, Bass Central included. I called somewhere else (I think it was BassNW, but it's not relevant) and got a better price, so I pulled the trigger. When BassNW (?)called NS to order the bass, they were told that Bass Central had just bought it. So I called Bass Central, and they told me that if I wanted the bass, I had to order from them! Seriously. They were holding the bass for hostage! :evil:
So not wanting to wait months for a new bass, I bought from BC at the higher price b/c they said they have a 48 hour no questions asked, no fee return policy. "If you don't like it, return it, no biggie". The bass arrived, I played it for a couple of days and decided that it sounded more like a fretless than an upright, so I called to return it. I got the biggest guilt trip I've ever heard (albeit not 'questions' per se!), and they said they usually charge a restocking fee. Only after re-sending the email where they promised no fee/no question returns did they let me return it. Then I got a follow up email reminding me how much money I had cost them by returning the bass. I couldn't believe it! I felt this was a very unethical thing to do, but they knowing how hard to find a quality lefty EUB, they had me by the short ones...
The Point: Just be careful. They have a great selection, and decent prices (I've actually found The Pefect Bass to be the cheapest, apples to apples), but I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for a trustworthy supplier that I can do business with in the future.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2008, 11:32 am 

There is used Bongo on eBay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Left-Handed-Er ... 240%3A1318

I like The Perfect Bass. They seem like genuinely nice people. Bass Central is not bad, but they can go from nice to not so nice really quick. Had a couple of dealings with them a few years back, and it's definitely not a place I would like to call again, unless they have something I must have.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2008, 1:18 pm 

zero feedback seller, but sure is a purty bass! Nice price too if no one else jumps on it...

PostPosted: December 11th, 2008, 5:18 pm 

leftybassatl wrote:
Bass Central may have the best prices, but I've had some questionable experiences there that lefties can appreciate

Well to be perfectly honest, my transaction with them for the Bongo was problematic as well.

I called them before lefties were available and they told me that Ernie Ball was in the process of producing them and would I like to pre-order one. "How long will it take?", I asked, and they told me that they would have them within 3 weeks. Long story short, 3 weeks turned into 5 months, and they had my deposit the whole time. When I complained that they more or less lied to me to get my deposit, they claimed it wasn't their fault since Ernie Ball was behind schedule. I now believe that EB was basically waiting for enough lefty orders before they would proceed to produce them. Fine, but don't give me some BS about my bass being ready within 3 weeks. They refused to offer me any sort of compensation either, i.e. price reduction or free shipping.

So yeah, be careful and make sure you get accurate info with them.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2008, 10:12 am 

Thanks for the help.
I was looking used, this won't be my main bass, just something I want. The Ebay one would of been perfect, but i got back to late.
i'll have to keep checking there first, if not i'll order one from Perfect Bass

Andy

PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 7:24 am 

Looks like it's been relisted. $700, free shipping, this is a steal. I might go after it myself! ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Left-Handed-Er ... 240%3A1318

PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 10:24 am 

+1 on the ebay one, though the guy has no feedback. But if he's on the level and really wants to sell it, perhaps he's willing to work out a more protective agreement. See if you can get his contact info, phone number, etc and discuss it with him or offer an inspection period.