LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:02 am

Post subject: Danelectro Lefty
PostPosted: September 1st, 2008, 12:00 pm 

Seems pretty pedestrian for this forum....... but I figured if anyone knows it's all you southpaws. Looking for a lefty Longhorn or Shorthorn Danelectro. Maybe even one of the new '63 reissues. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks, mark

Post subject: Re: Danelectro Lefty
PostPosted: September 1st, 2008, 12:34 pm 

The only bass that I am aware of that Danelectro offered left handed (in the US at least) was the DC bass. They pop up on ebay every now and then. There's one listed on craig's list here. Maybe the seller will ship?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/815524746.html

and there's another one here:

http://www.retrotownmusic.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=61

As far as I know, Dano never made lefty Longhorns for the US market, however, there's a lefty longhorn listed here in Japan. If you're determined enough, you could try to get it shipped:

http://www.taniguchi-gakki.com/catalog/ ... cts_id=990

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 8:36 am 

Nice, how do they sound?

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2008, 9:46 am 

The DCs are long scale, while the Longhorns are short. Both have that unique Dano sound and sound very similar despite their differences in size. I personally think the Longhorn is one of the best sounding short scale basses I've heard. It's clear and warm, not tubby, muddy, or booming at all. The back lipstick PUP soloed on both gives you sort of a honky J tone (which kind of defines the Dano tone, IMO). I suppose they could sound a little on the thin side compared to other short scale basses like a Hofner or other hollowbody bass, but you can always dial in a little more EQ if needed and I'd rather have clarity and definition in my basic tone than something that you can never clean up. They're good for fingerstyle and especially pick playing, but not really very good for slapping.
I don't think you could go wrong with either bass, and if you're used to a standard size bass and want the Dano tone with a little less hassle tracking one down, then I'd go for a DC.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 7:00 am 

Jeez, you guys are great AND on top of it! That black in Japan....... Drool. I've already contacted the college student in Tacoma.... she's fairly unresponsive. The dealer w/ the DC hasn't responded either. I have a friend in Japan. I think I need to contact him to see if he can help me out. Thanks again and if you have any more input, please do. Mark

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 5:06 am 

Well i think I got the DC on Craigs (fingers crossed). Thanks PJ for your awesome search capabilities. In case you haven't seen this video of your bass (although righty) , it's a great one. One of my inspirations to play Dano. These guys played at my grammar school when I was in the 8th grade. Jesse, so good and so far ahead of his time musically. Very lyrical bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrBEyA_vc4

Thanks again, Mark

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 6:49 am 

If you already bought the Danny bass on ebay, this is a moot point, but I live in Philadelphia PA and there's a used guitar shop with a silver sparkle DC bass for sale. The guy who runs the store won't take less than $400, and I've tried to get him to come down to $325 because that's what they sell for on ebay. He then tells me he could sell it for $600 if he wanted to. yeah, sure, thanks dude....

I keep "visiting" the Danny, walking by the window to see if it's still there. I last checked about a month ago, and it was still waiting inside to be taken home. It's been in that store for four or five months, so maybe it's time I hit him up again for a discount.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 7:30 am 

Marcocolo wrote:
Well i think I got the DC on Craigs (fingers crossed). Thanks PJ for your awesome search capabilities. In case you haven't seen this video of your bass (although righty) , it's a great one. One of my inspirations to play Dano. These guys played at my grammar school when I was in the 8th grade. Jesse, so good and so far ahead of his time musically. Very lyrical bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhrBEyA_vc4

Thanks again, Mark

The Youngbloods! Cool band. I have a few of their songs on some of my Nuggests collections I think.

Has anyone seen the film, "That Thing You Do" here? One memorable scene for me is when the band finally has some level of success and they enter a "right of passage" and upgrade their instruments to Fenders. The bassist was playing a Dano prior and then gets a P bass (I think). Every time I see that brief scene of the old instruments getting traded in for the new Fenders I say to myself, "What was wrong with the Dano?"

Congrats Mark. Enjoy the bass. FYI: before you spend hours scratching your head like I did when I first got mine wondering why the bass doesn't have a truss rod, just note that it's at the heel of the neck but unfortunately you have to take the neck off the bass when you need to adjust it. The good news is I only had to do it once in the 5 years I've owned mine, as the neck hasn't moved since.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 11:19 am 

Alexander, if it's a lefty DC bass, grab it! Just getting rarer and more expensive. Mine did arrive today. Awesome silver sparkle finish and in perfect shape! I think I want new strings though. PJ, what do you recommend in a flat that will get me that sound like the Youngbloods? Which strings have you tried on the DC? I'm really happy about this guitar.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 8:55 pm 

I've never used flats on my DC, but TIs, Chromes, and Labella Deep Talkin's are all recommended. Note that TIs are lower tension and can feel rubbery, which you may or may not like.

PostPosted: November 6th, 2008, 2:48 pm 

I have a lefty Danelectro DC bass for sale, or preferably, a trade for a nice lefty J-bass in any color but black. Email me at mbd@nospamaustin.rr.com. ( Remove "nospam" )

These are now officially collectors items. I cannot buy another for what I paid for mine, but I'm looking more for another quality lefthanded bass. The DC just isn't for the heavier stuff I like to play, but it is great for pop, punk, blues, folk or even jazz. I have decided to thin my herd and make the Fender J-bass my predominate instrument.

Misha

Attachments:
File comment: a picture of the exact same model and year as mine, but not the actual bass. I have made no modifications to mine. Do not have a camera at home, it's with my wife in Europe. But mine is in at least as good a shape. Too bad my carpet ain't.
danelectrolefty.jpg
danelectrolefty.jpg [ 66.42 KiB | Viewed 8918 times ]

PostPosted: November 6th, 2008, 5:52 pm 

Alexander wrote:
I live in Philadelphia PA and there's a used guitar shop with a silver sparkle DC bass for sale.

Is this in the shop on 4th street just up the block from the Starbuck's on South St? If so, then I believe I've seen it as well, but never took the time to play it

[thread_hijack] FWIW - I'll be in Philly the week of Nov 16th for work, and am hoping to pay a visit to Callowhill Basses while I'm there.
[/thread_hijack]

all the best,

R