LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 6th, 2024, 3:32 pm

Post subject: Wanted: Lefty Precision. I'm not really that picky!
PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 11:32 am 

Hey Lefties out there,

I'm on the hunt for a P-Bass. I'm not picky about what years or anything, but I need that tone that only a true Precision can provide. This is mainly going to be a gigging instrument, so I'm not really looking for a collector piece. I'd prefer it to be something I'm not afraid to play, if you know what I mean...

Here's my musts:
1. American Made (Don't mind Hot Rods, etc...)
2. Thru-Body Bridge

Ideal, but not manditory:
1. Maple on Maple neck (one-piece would be amazing)
2. Pickup and Bridge covers (nice to have)
3. Thin, fast neck back. Not a huge fan of those more massive, U-Shaped neck backs.
4. Super Sexy-looking... Subjective at your discretion.

My budget is $1000, but I'd prefer to pay less of course, times are tough.

Any info you might have to help me track down a piece like this would be AMAZING!!! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wanted: Lefty Precision. I'm not really that picky!
PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Unless you're getting a parts bass you won't get a maple board and thru body stringing on a P Bass. No stock Fender has it lefty.

Unfortunately your list of needs is specific enough that even if you aren't picky it's a tall order to fill for a lefty. It ain't easy being southpaw. ;)

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 2:28 pm 

Hey thanks for the info, I didn't realize that Maple and thru-body was a conflict. Like I said, I don't need a maple board, I simply prefer the tone of maple to the more mellow rosewoods, but if it's American made, in decent condition, and in my price range, I'm strongly interested.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 2:43 pm 

Perhaps the bigger question is why do you need a string thru P? Most would argue there's little to no discernible tonal difference, though I might be willing to debate that the feel under my plucking fingers is VERY slightly different (perhaps springier?). But it definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 3:09 pm 

Well, of course, being a lefty, I have limited experience specifally on P-Basses. To be honest, all the P's I've played have been righty's that I've played upside down. From those, I have enjoyed the tone and sustain of string-thru, but obviously there can and has been so many other variables that would go into the tonal differences. To be honest, if I can find a bass that I like, I'll probably switch out the bridge to one that can do either, so I can compare for myself (a badass for instance).

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 5:38 pm 

IME to professionally retrofit a string-thru bridge option on a previously completed and finished bass is no small feat ... unless you care not about having each ferrule perfect in both alignment and spacing ... it's tough enough to do by hand with a drillpress while the body blank is still essentially a block and it can easily be aligned for parallel

FWIW a few thousandths of an inch off in ferrule alignment and/or spacing absolutely drives me nuts

it'd be nice not to start a string thru "tone and sustain" war ... some people say they hear a difference, and others say they don't. I'm in the camp that doesn't hear a difference with a properly assembled and set-up bass - even when that bass is loaded with high-end pickups and played thru high-end amplification

depending on the strings, bridge, and set-up - I can sometimes feel a difference in the string stiffness when plucked. this has a lot to do with the string type (exposed core, partial wrap, full wrap, string size, and materials/process used) and some to do with the break angle over the bridge saddle

all the best,

R

PostPosted: October 6th, 2011, 6:18 pm 

Thanks for the reply. The debate is really not that important to me. I'm just looking to a strong American-made P-Bass that sounds and feels great, and that I can take to gigs without worrying (too much).

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 8:17 am 

so now you know someone has to ask the all important question....
WHY does it have to be an American P bass to be strong dependable and give you years of worry free use?

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 9:00 am 

I feel that everyone is kind of missing the point. Why do my preferences matter? Does anyone have any leads on where I might be able a procure a lefty P-bass? Everyone's input is informational, but so far it hasn't helped me get any closer to becoming the proud owner of a nice P-Bass. Honestly I don't really care for the debate on specifics, and my preferences are still ultimately the same as in my first posting.

Any leads?

Thanks!

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 10:11 am 

Did you check eBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Fender-Pre ... 500wt_1015

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1987-Fende ... 256829061a

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 12:05 pm 

scottfulton wrote:
I feel that everyone is kind of missing the point. Why do my preferences matter? Does anyone have any leads on where I might be able a procure a lefty P-bass? Everyone's input is informational, but so far it hasn't helped me get any closer to becoming the proud owner of a nice P-Bass. Honestly I don't really care for the debate on specifics, and my preferences are still ultimately the same as in my first posting.

Any leads?
Thanks!

Everyone here is trying to offer their advice and help. I'm not trying to be difficult, but here's your original request:

"I'm on the hunt for a P-Bass. I'm not picky about what years or anything, but I need that tone that only a true Precision can provide."

You stated you're not picky and you want the tone that a TRUE P provides. Well, a TRUE P is not strung thru, and the classic tones can be found in ANY American made lefty P bass (MIJ, MIM notwithstanding). Lefty P basses are readily available. Check Ebay, Craig's list, etc. But if it comes down to aesthetics for you, fine, keep searching for a strung thru maple necked P. You won't find one, unless you want to spend thousands (I believe your budget is $1000?) on a 60's/70's lefty Tele bass. Last I checked, they were going for well over $5000 IF you can find one. But that wouldn't be the classic P sound anyway so forget it.

The Hot Rod P and American made Ps over the last decade or so are rosewood necks with strung thru option. Those are your only strung thru MIA options under $1000, buying used.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 12:07 pm 

Addison wrote:

Yeah really, I'd just buy that first one and be done with it. You can always put a maple neck on it if you must.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

scottfulton wrote:

Any leads?

Thanks!

I say this in a friendly way; I think you're missing the point. We just want to help you be aware of what your options are based on your criteria, which might seem easy to do to you, but actually is not easy to find on a left handed Fender bass. The point of questioning your specifics is it helps identify which basses you'd be happy with and allows us to make recommendations of existing basses. The bass you want does not exist, so you're wasting your time trying to seek it out. To get what you'd like you need to flex on cost, country or origin, or Fender made.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 4:18 pm 

I sincerely mean it when I say that I appreciate everyone's input on this issue. It is really nice having people who care about these instruments to offer their expertise and advise on this subject. I didn't mean any offense. Perhaps it was I that was being too vague.

I do care that it is American made. Why? Just a personal preference. That said, if I see a really fantastic Japanese made P that plays and sounds amazing, I might reconsider that mindset.

I would prefer if it were string through, so I have the option of stringing it that way. If that's not an option, it's not a deal-breaker.

In my limited experience playing P's, I've enjoyed maple on maples. I've played on a one-piece maple P neck one time, and I feel in love. That's my ideal. I love those tinted laquer finishes. I've owned and enjoyed basses with maple/rosewood necks too though. I like maple tone better, but I don't mind the sound of rosewood.

My ideal bass would be a piece in good enough condition that it's ready to gig and record with right off the bat. Even it a basic set up is required though, it's not that big a deal as long as the bass isn't a wreck. I'm not looking for a collector piece though, I want I can take everywhere without worrying.

I simply can't pay more than $1000. I'd love to have a budget to get my dream P, but a grand's what I got.

I'm just a guy in love with that P-bass look, feel and most of all, tone. I have to have that tone in my arsenal. I do scour ebay and craigslist, but I've been searching for awhile, and I haven't seen a lot of options in my price range. I figured since you're all lefties, you can appreciate my plight. The info's been helpful, and hopefully that's a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

PostPosted: October 7th, 2011, 4:57 pm 

buy one of my lefty Charvels for cheap then ' :lol: ) they are some mean jap p-basses that are indestructible
since your compromising on what you really want due to supply and demand.
and if you dont like the pointyhead, well....then no sale :(

PostPosted: October 8th, 2011, 12:09 am 

Scott,

To answer your question: American Made Lefty P-Basses are scarce but you can find some good deals IF and only IF you take your time and regularly browse, Craigslist, Ebay, Leftybassist.
To give you an example, in the bay area where I live and where over 10 millions of people live, a US made P-bass pops on Craigslist about 2 or 3 times in a year (I check lefty listings every day). Over the past 3 years I've seen two awesome deals a Maple Neck/Natural 1978 which sold for $800 (to someone on this board) and recently another 1983 Maple neck/Black also for $800. Because of the scarcity of Lefty Maple P-bass they usually go for way over $1k on ebay.

Lefty Maple neck p-bass were only made between 1971 and 1984 (If I recall) and indeed did not have string-thru option. I own a red P-bass rosewood Fretboard with string-thru that will only be sold as part of my estate after my death :lol: . What people on this board are saying is lefty P-bass production has nothing to do with right-handed production. The options available are very, very limited. For example since it was made again by Fender in 2004, the P-bass comes only in Black or Sunburst with Rosewood neck. Lefty P-basses were available in the mid-nineties (1994-1996) in various colors (Red, Cream...) with string-thru but only rosewood neck. There are also a few Hot-Rod P-basses that were made in the late nineties but only rosewood (Orange translucent, Sunburst, Black). Those are your ONLY options for Lefty US made P-basses period. If you are familiar with the lefty production you'll know what to look for and will avoid to get swindled. example: Someone sells on Ebay a "2006 white maple neck American P-bass" well, you know it's a scam. However, you are free to think we are all a bunch of old rambling dumb-asses on this forum. Just don't complaint to us after after you'll get screwed.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2011, 3:50 pm 

Hey Frenchy-Lefty,

Wow that was really fantastic information! Like I said, this is my first foray into the world of P-basses, so my knowledge on the subject can't touch yours. I really appreciate the advise. All of my basses are used basses; each was bought for a specific purpose, and each took me months to find just the right piece. (Damn righties' ability to walk into a good guitar shop blindfolded and still come out with a qulity piece!) So I guess I'm in for that kind of a search again.

So just to sum-up:
Maple: No string thru, pretty rare, usually expensive, really none made after the 70s. Rosewood: Might be string-thru, less rare, usually less expensive.

Has anyone out there played a lefty P with a maple/maple Jazz bass neck on it??? If so, how is that? I've been playing jazz basses as long as can remember, and if the tone is there, I'm not opposed to that either.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2011, 5:02 pm 

Thanks, but believe me I am far from being the most Fender knowledgeable on this forum!

A P-Bass with a Jazz Bass neck will sound pretty much identical.
As PJMuck suggested it, the recent P-bass (the ones made after 2008) are much improved with the vintage mass bridge the thinner coating different truss-rod. They are a great buys. A used one go for about $900 like the one on E-bay. Black or Sunburst only unfortunately but you won't be disappointed with the tone. Good luck!

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 3:02 am 

Have you thought about ordering a nice body and all maple neck from Warmoth and putting your bass together yourself?

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 8:01 am 
Site Admin

scottfulton wrote:
Has anyone out there played a lefty P with a maple/maple Jazz bass neck on it??? If so, how is that? I've been playing jazz basses as long as can remember, and if the tone is there, I'm not opposed to that either.

I had a mutt '78 Jazz bass neck (maple board w. pearl blocks/binding) on a '78 P body that I played as my main bass for a few years a good while back. I sold it to get my Lakland P, and have kicked myself ever since.

It was nice having that slim neck to play, but it made no difference tonally.