LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:30 am

Post subject: Need a lefty 5 $400
PostPosted: January 27th, 2011, 8:14 pm 

Hello all, this is my first official post (long time lurker). I thought Id start off with a bang by telling you my desperation. I'm getting ready to start playing out here in a few months and I needs me a 5 string. I'm doing a lot of rock country tunes that are done either in drop d or on a 5 itself. Ive been trying to find one for cheap, because my budget is a little tight. I'm really looking to stay under $400, doesn't matter much on active or passive (I've got a rack mount sansamp pre). Just needs to have 5 strings on it. Got any laying around that you wouldn't mind selling? Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Need a lefty 5 $400
PostPosted: January 27th, 2011, 9:09 pm 

I would sell my Schecter studio for 400$ but I need to wait 5-7 weeks for my new 5 string to get here. If you're still looking then, i could help you out. I got it for around that price, so I wouldn't mind selling it for that, it's about 800$ new.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2011, 9:35 pm 

blankrider wrote:
I would sell my Schecter studio for 400$ but I need to wait 5-7 weeks for my new 5 string to get here. If you're still looking then, i could help you out. I got it for around that price, so I wouldn't mind selling it for that, it's about 800$ new.

I'll hopefully have one by then, but if not I might be in touch. That is a lefty 5 right? Is that shipped for 400?

PostPosted: January 27th, 2011, 9:59 pm 

derock85z wrote:
blankrider wrote:

I'll hopefully have one by then, but if not I might be in touch. That is a lefty 5 right? Is that shipped for 400?

depends on what the shipping comes out too....I've never shipped a bass before haha

We'll just wait and see.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 2:12 pm 

I've got a MTD Kingston, active, 5-er...but that would not include shipping. Black, black hardware, maple neck and f/b.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 5:41 pm 

That's a nice deal on the MTD, even if you have to spend a bit extra for the shipping. Also, www.rondomusic.com usually has good deals on basses. Just checked their site, but it seems they only have one in stock at the moment - http://www.rondomusic.com/BassLeft.html ...

eBay is also a worth a try.... personally I'd pay for the shipping and take ezstep up on his offer. ;)

PostPosted: January 30th, 2011, 7:35 pm 

Yep, good deal on that MTD!
I'd say go for it.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2011, 11:46 pm 

How much are you looking for shipping? I found a lefty carvin b5 for about 350, I've got some money down on it but that doesn't mean i can't be persuaded. I've heard great things about MTD, what specific model is it?

Fivebass, I see you know about rondo music. I've been tempted to buy that lefty Brice in there for 299. I have a SX jazz copy, which is really nice as far as cheap basses go. Im just weighing in my options and trying to score a deal, as usual. Its served me well on all my other purchases (this would make guitar 14 for me).

As much as I hate to say it, patience will always be required in lefty land, You'll be waiting for a while to find what you want. Took me 5 years to find a gold top les paul in my price range, so deliberating on it for a few weeks wont hurt me too bad. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 6:49 am 

Actual shipping charges - zip 71220

It is the Kingston, active. First wave that was imported. The original, passive Kingston's had the "half-moon" looking pickguard. These were the first actives available and the first without a pickguard. Everything stock, except I was convinced by my ebass/efriends that I really needed Black Beauty strings on it. :roll:

That would have been in February of like... 2005? I went to Summer NAMM in Nashville in 2005 where I met Michael Tobias. At that time, our band was looking at traveling out of the country and I didn't want to take a really nice bass and let some airline crush it for me. Tobias told me that the Kingston's would be available after Christmas in an active version, so I put one on order.

Are you familiar with the MTD asymetrical neck? I love it, but others not so much.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 9:09 am 

If I can offer some comments, I’m very familiar with K5s and with B5s. The Carvin has tight string spacing and a narrower neck. Very comfortable if you have small hands. The Kingston has full string spacing, an although the neck is very thin and still very comfortable, the B5s generally is easier to play. Unless you have large hands and/or long fingers, then the K5 will feel like home.
Both basses balance perfectly and are lightweight. The K5 being 35” scale, will have a better low B. The Carvin’s low B is okay, very usable, but can’t match the clarity of the MTD.
Build quality will be better on the Carvin, but the Kingston is not bad for the price. The fretwork is great on both.
Lastyy, the MTD will give you a Musicman-type sound, whereas the Carvin will have the MM sound, plus a Jazz-Bass-type sound, depending on whether you have the MM/J configuration, or the Jazz configuration. A little more versatility on the Carvin.
I personally would stay away from SX. They look okay on the computer monitor, and the prices are enticing, but they need a lot of setting up and upgrading to make them playable basses, and if I may speak freely, they are nothing more than Chinese crap. (My opinion and experience, of course, nobody take offense, please).

Hope this helps.
:)

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 12:23 pm 

Yeah, I have big hands. I have a Carvin LB75, and the neck on it is almost (but not quite) too small, especially near the first, second, or third frets. The Kingston is spaced out a little "better" (for big hands). The asymetrical neck - you either love it or hate it. When you pick it up and start noodling around, you notice that your thumb automatically moves to the center of the back of the neck, when it really is supposed to be. That gives you more strength in your fretting hand. After a four-hour gig, your hands will be fine and ready to go some more. The neck gets wider as you move up, but also, the "top half" of the neck is bigger than the "bottom half" of the neck, if you divide it LENGTHWISE. It sounds odd, but I like it. Carvin also offers asymetrical necks.

Whereas, my Carvin, Alembic, G&L do NOT have that neck. All great necks, but all different. The Alembic has the flattest and straightest neck in my stable, but the MTD is, IMHO, better - more ergonomically designed, more comfort overall. But, again, I have big hands. :D

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 1:35 pm 

I think I might stick with that Carvin. I have smaller hands from the get-go, and I'm not a fan of wider spacing. Ive been playing bass for about 2 years but guitar for much longer, so Im used to tight string spacing. That and if I dont like it, I have a month to return it. It sounds like the safer bet. Now if I'd played an MTD that wouldn't be an issue but seeing as I haven't I dont know if I'd enjoy it as much. Thanks for the advice guys. 8-)

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2011, 1:54 pm 

No problem. Have fun.