LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 9th, 2024, 12:51 am

Post subject: acoustic bass?
PostPosted: September 5th, 2010, 11:22 am 

Anyone know of a reasonably priced acoustic bass for sale? I saw a micheal kelly 5str fl through guitar center used. was going for 400$. Has anyone tried one of these or has any input on them.

Post subject: Re: acoustic bass?
PostPosted: September 9th, 2010, 12:09 pm 

There are a couple of threads on this topic already- I know because I asked the exact same question just a few months back and got a healthy response!

If memory serves, the consensus was that the Kelly basses are so so, the best AE basses are of course the ones that are tough to find and even tougher to afford, like early EB Earthwood, etc.

I ended up buying the Takamine seen here: http://adirondackguitar.com/lefty/takam ... s/bass.htm

Price has dropped a bit; now may be a good time to buy one. It's nothing spectacular, but serves me well and sounds okay both acoustic and electric.

Adirondack guitars has a decent selection, although I've never purchased from them, so I can't speak for what kind of folks they are. Seems like I've heard bad things, but don't quote me.
http://adirondackguitar.com/lefty/lh_acou_bass_menu.htm

PostPosted: September 9th, 2010, 1:22 pm 

I bought a Dean back in '05 that sounded better to me than the Michael Kelly's I tried, and it was $200 or so less. I used it a few times, and came to the realization that I was using it instead of my fretless. Then I showed up for an acoustic gig, only to find the singer/guitarist had called in a drummer and lead guitarist at the last second, and didn't tell me. So I sold it, but that's really besides the point, which is, the Dean is a nice AEB for the price...... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 9th, 2010, 1:55 pm 

leftybassatl wrote:
I ended up buying the Takamine seen here: http://adirondackguitar.com/lefty/takam ... s/bass.htm

Price has dropped a bit; now may be a good time to buy one. It's nothing spectacular, but serves me well and sounds okay both acoustic and electric.

Hey can you give a little more info on the Takamine as far as what you like and dislike? Seems like a decent bass. Thanks

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2010, 11:46 pm 

Try finding a lefty Cort NTL-B, they're fantastic value. Very well-built, very nice woods (solid Adirondack spruce top, laminated rosewood back and sides), good craftsmanship and it plays and sounds very good. The body isn't very large so it's not incredibly loud, but it can keep up with an acoustic guitar (dreadnought). Amplified tone is very good too. I own an NTL-B FL, the fretless version.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 7:52 am 

Matt-

I will gladly give my review of the Takamine bass, but keep in mind that I don't have much context here; the only other acoustic BG I've ever had was a right handed Ovation flipped over, but I'll do my best to give my over all view of the bass.

Likes: General- Seems fairly well built, built in tuner is nice, like the electronics- easy to use, with a built in EQ. Body is decent size and easy to hold, unlike the Ovation which always fell out of my lap because of the smooth rounded plastic back. Unplugged- It projects fairly well- I can take this bass to a 'campfire' setting and hold my own with unplugged acoustic guitar players. This was the litmus test for me- how well it projected unplugged. Plugged in- IMHO, this is where the bass shines. I can get much more of the tone I wanted by plugging the bass in and messing with EQ. Sounds great plugged in.

Dislikes: Unplugged: I like a big round sound on my electrics, and even on my uprights. NO acoustic bass I've ever played or owned has the tonal quality and resonance that I'm thrilled with. This is just a function of body size on acoustic instruments, which is why I guess we hear so many good things about the near comically large EB Earthwood bass. I chose not to pursue something of like an earthwood not only for cost (and rarity) purposes, but because I didn't want to look like a cartoon character with a gigantic ukulele! The point is that the sound is not unlike any other middle of the road E/ABG, but if you're a rocking electric player playing acoustic for the first time, this may be off putting in the beginning. The tone is also a bit bright for me when unplugged, but this may very well be a function of the strings or my playing style. I'm experimenting with that now.
Plugged in- Not unlike any other acoustic instrument plugged in, you may suffer from feedback issues depending on volume and placement. I began using a $7 feedback buster (soundhole cover) and the issue has all but disappeared unless I'm standing in front of my amp, with the volume on 11.

In summary, I would recommend this bass for anyone looking to spend less than $500 and get a very good bass for the money. I wasn't thrilled with the Kelly basses and the marginal improvements in going to some high end bass like Breedlove or something was so minuscule that the cost difference wasn't even close to justified. At $500, this bass is priced right. I found one on eBay with a case in near mint condition for $350 and couldn't believe I got such a deal.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 8:44 am 

Anybody seem or played one of the new budget Warwick Alien Rockbasses yet? They supposedly are available left handed and are considered (at least the original ones) one of the better acoustic basses out there.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 9:08 am 

leftybassatl wrote:
Matt-

I will gladly give my review of the Takamine bass, but keep in mind that I don't have much context here; the only other acoustic BG I've ever had was a right handed Ovation flipped over, but I'll do my best to give my over all view of the bass.

Likes: General- Seems fairly well built, built in tuner is nice, like the electronics- easy to use, with a built in EQ. Body is decent size and easy to hold, unlike the Ovation which always fell out of my lap because of the smooth rounded plastic back. Unplugged- It projects fairly well- I can take this bass to a 'campfire' setting and hold my own with unplugged acoustic guitar players. This was the litmus test for me- how well it projected unplugged. Plugged in- IMHO, this is where the bass shines. I can get much more of the tone I wanted by plugging the bass in and messing with EQ. Sounds great plugged in.

Dislikes: Unplugged: I like a big round sound on my electrics, and even on my uprights. NO acoustic bass I've ever played or owned has the tonal quality and resonance that I'm thrilled with. This is just a function of body size on acoustic instruments, which is why I guess we hear so many good things about the near comically large EB Earthwood bass. I chose not to pursue something of like an earthwood not only for cost (and rarity) purposes, but because I didn't want to look like a cartoon character with a gigantic ukulele! The point is that the sound is not unlike any other middle of the road E/ABG, but if you're a rocking electric player playing acoustic for the first time, this may be off putting in the beginning. The tone is also a bit bright for me when unplugged, but this may very well be a function of the strings or my playing style. I'm experimenting with that now.
Plugged in- Not unlike any other acoustic instrument plugged in, you may suffer from feedback issues depending on volume and placement. I began using a $7 feedback buster (soundhole cover) and the issue has all but disappeared unless I'm standing in front of my amp, with the volume on 11.

In summary, I would recommend this bass for anyone looking to spend less than $500 and get a very good bass for the money. I wasn't thrilled with the Kelly basses and the marginal improvements in going to some high end bass like Breedlove or something was so minuscule that the cost difference wasn't even close to justified. At $500, this bass is priced right. I found one on eBay with a case in near mint condition for $350 and couldn't believe I got such a deal.

Hope this helps.

Yep, thanks man. Sounds like the usual issues with an ABG, which are common and no big deal. I'll definitely look into one of these. I'll assume the build quality is good also because a good friend of mine has played a Takamine acoustic guitar for about 20 years and if it survived him, then well... :D

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: September 10th, 2010, 10:17 am 

leftybassatl wrote:
Dislikes: Unplugged: I like a big round sound on my electrics, and even on my uprights. The tone is a bit bright for me when unplugged, but this may very well be a function of the strings or my playing style. I'm experimenting with that now.

Have you tried flatwounds yet? When I bought my Cort NTL-B fretless secondhand, I got it with d'Addario Chromes that the previous owner had put on it, and it produced a pretty convincing upright-like tone. I have since put Elixir bronze strings on it, but I'm thinking of going back to flats. Sounded very warm and nice :)