LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:16 am

Post subject: Having a hard time finding a round body 5 string bass
PostPosted: December 28th, 2020, 8:58 pm 

Hi guys,

I have been looking for a bass for almost a year, and I'm having no luck finding it. I'm starting to lose my mind over this. Any insight, advice, leads etc. are most welcome.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR
Are you sitting down? Because apparently this is a tall order:

• 5 string
• Left handed
• A classic, full round body shape (like Gibson, Airline, Gretsch and ESP guitars)
• Black or some other simple (metal band appropriate) color

WHAT ELSE?
That's it! Used or new, brand, f-holes, neck length, pick guard, etc. all lovely but doesn't matter.

I recently tried to buy a Warwick Star Bass from Germany (which fit the criteria, and is the 1st bass in the pic below) only to find out that they won't ship to the USA. So I started contacting people in Mexico so I could send it to them, and then have them mail it again to Seattle. So that should give you an indication of where my head is at. I also wrote to Diamond guitars, who used to make the DBZ (the second bass in the pic) only to find out that they have a 5-string, and a lefty, but haven't made a 5 string lefty but one year.

WHY ROUND BODY SHAPE
See the image for more. There are a ton of jazz bass /strat /sadowsky shaped basses out there, and I … do not like them. No offense to anyone, they're obviously incredibly popular. Schecter and Ibanez come close with the shape of some of their basses, but they always have 1 flat edge so it looks more angular like the round lady is sitting down, if you follow the metaphor. I want the full, round body in a bass guitar... if it exists.

WHY 5 STRING?
I am able to find round basses in 4 string or right handed, but 5 string lefty seems to eliminate them. Most of the songs in my prog metal project make use of the low B string. I tend to make more mistakes on a 6-string, especially live or when I'm singing, so I appreciate the relative spacing/ease of a 5-string.

I know some of you guys have been searching for longer than I have, so I thought you might have a lead or two. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Bar

Post subject: Re: Having a hard time finding a round body 5 string bass
PostPosted: December 29th, 2020, 5:54 am 

Best advise I can give is keep looking! I had a 1970 Les Paul, that I purchased used in 1980 for about $500 bucks. It was a Les Paul Custom and I changed the knobs, pickguard, ect to make it look different. Around 2000 I realized how cool the original look was and vintage was becoming big. So lucky for me I still had all the parts except I lost 1 volume and 1 tone knob. I looked for about 3 years before I could find the perfect match at the right (sane price). Yes I could have paid $200 for a plastic knob but I knew if I waited and looked it would happen.

I am sure the great folks here will keep their eye out, I have seen replies to posts that are almost 6-7 months old where someone replies........... Here is one!

PostPosted: December 29th, 2020, 7:31 am 

A 5-string Warwick Starbass popped up at Guitar Center a couple of times, and I believe it's currently with a board member. And sometimes they pop up from international sellers on Reverb.

Like Bob says, just keep an eye out and you're bound to get lucky eventually. I checked all my bookmarks and didn't see any currently available, though.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2020, 3:58 am 

Thanks Tim and Bob. You guys are the best!

I'll keep checking Reverb and I'll loop in Guitar Center in my searches, and I'll check back from time to time on this post in case anyone has seen one posted for sale.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2020, 6:23 am 

Have you looked for a Pedulla?

https://reverb.com/item/30602308-pedull ... lame-maple

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2021, 6:48 am 

Hey man! Thanks for the suggestion and the link!

I haven't looked into Pedulla. I don't know much about them. That particular one is pretty sweet, though!!! Not sure about the yellow color for our metal band.

If you'd like to educate me as to some of the pros and cons of Pedulla (i.e. more than I am just learning from google), and why they'd sometimes merit a $3000 price tag, I'd love to learn more.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 5:16 am 

Here's my Pedulla 5 string, as example. I believe it used to belong to a member?? can't remember who I got it from.

Pedulla's used to be all the rage at the high end of the market in the 90s. I think over time they lost some brand awareness to other similarly priced options, but imho, in terms of construction, balance and sound they are definitely up there with Ken Smith, Alembic, etc. (and I own both an Alembic and KS).

PostPosted: January 5th, 2021, 3:13 pm 

Pedullas used to come up somewhat regularly until Michael announced his retirement a couple years back. I feel like I've seen maybe 1 since then.

Kinda tells you how people feel about them, though!

PostPosted: January 6th, 2021, 4:23 am 

Have you thought about a Les Paul bass? Those are pretty mean looking basses if you can find one.

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but belinmad, your Ric caught my eye because it looks like my 78 except for the pickup surround. What is yours?

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

PostPosted: January 7th, 2021, 2:22 am 

I just saw this on reverb. I don't know anything about it, but it looks pretty rocking to me.

https://reverb.com/item/37748218-serek-lincoln

PostPosted: January 7th, 2021, 4:45 am 

5 strings, guys. 5 strings. Let's stay on task :)

PostPosted: January 7th, 2021, 11:50 am 

tim wrote:
5 strings, guys. 5 strings. Let's stay on task :)

Guilty! Sorry

PostPosted: January 7th, 2021, 10:55 pm 

pygmydynamo wrote:
Hi guys,

I have been looking for a bass for almost a year, and I'm having no luck finding it. I'm starting to lose my mind over this. Any insight, advice, leads etc. are most welcome.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR
Are you sitting down? Because apparently this is a tall order:

• 5 string
• Left handed
• A classic, full round body shape (like Gibson, Airline, Gretsch and ESP guitars)
• Black or some other simple (metal band appropriate) color

WHAT ELSE?
That's it! Used or new, brand, f-holes, neck length, pick guard, etc. all lovely but doesn't matter.

I recently tried to buy a Warwick Star Bass from Germany (which fit the criteria, and is the 1st bass in the pic below) only to find out that they won't ship to the USA. So I started contacting people in Mexico so I could send it to them, and then have them mail it again to Seattle. So that should give you an indication of where my head is at. I also wrote to Diamond guitars, who used to make the DBZ (the second bass in the pic) only to find out that they have a 5-string, and a lefty, but haven't made a 5 string lefty but one year.

WHY ROUND BODY SHAPE
See the image for more. There are a ton of jazz bass /strat /sadowsky shaped basses out there, and I … do not like them. No offense to anyone, they're obviously incredibly popular. Schecter and Ibanez come close with the shape of some of their basses, but they always have 1 flat edge so it looks more angular like the round lady is sitting down, if you follow the metaphor. I want the full, round body in a bass guitar... if it exists.

WHY 5 STRING?
I am able to find round basses in 4 string or right handed, but 5 string lefty seems to eliminate them. Most of the songs in my prog metal project make use of the low B string. I tend to make more mistakes on a 6-string, especially live or when I'm singing, so I appreciate the relative spacing/ease of a 5-string.

I know some of you guys have been searching for longer than I have, so I thought you might have a lead or two. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Bar

Did you try ordering the Star Bass from Thomann, because no they do not ship to US anymore.

Go directly to the warwick.de site and you can buy a Star Bass directly from Warwick. I have not, but it lets you put it in your cart and gives shipping etc, so I think its doable. Good luck. I like my Star bass a real lot. Its a 5er.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2021, 5:17 pm 

ch willie wrote:
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but belinmad, your Ric caught my eye because it looks like my 78 except for the pickup surround. What is yours?

It is indeeed a 78! Bought it on craigslist back in 2011. The previous owner had sanded the finish, so I had it refinished by Wilkins, and had a https://www.thetreblebezel.com/ installed.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 9:13 am 

Thanks again, guys! All good input.

"Did you try ordering the Star Bass from Thomann, because no they do not ship to US anymore."

I've tried both. The Warwick site UX is hella tricky to figure out, but it lets you add a Star Bass to your cart, but when you go to check out, it says "this item is not currently available." Ha ha! How is that for fun? I also don't see the option to choose left handed or black color, but maybe I am going through the wrong links (i.e. the Star Bass links and not the custom/discontinued links?) If you're able to make it work, let me know!!!

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 9:33 am 

"Have you thought about a Les Paul bass?"

I would love a Les Paul --- their shape and look is 100% perfect --- if they made a lefty 5 string. Do they? I can't seem to find one on the Google. The "junior tribute" etc. look like it is just 4-string.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 9:48 am 

shop.warwick.de

Edit: it let me go all the way to "complete order" so it was gonna work.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 6:13 pm 

donahue wrote:
shop.warwick.de

I had a less than stellar experience with the Rockbass Starbass... It was pretty much a POS with all sorts of issues from a bad backbow, a hump and a twist. Fit and finish looked like a cheap knockoff and sloppy paint... It sounded ok, when it wasn't buzzing. I would avoid. Which is a shame because the pics make them look badass... I assume the german made ones are nice though.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10534

PostPosted: January 9th, 2021, 8:06 pm 

TheMilford wrote:
donahue wrote:
shop.warwick.de

I had a less than stellar experience with the Rockbass Starbass... It was pretty much a POS with all sorts of issues from a bad backbow, a hump and a twist. Fit and finish looked like a cheap knockoff and sloppy paint... It sounded ok, when it wasn't buzzing. I would avoid. Which is a shame because the pics make them look badass... I assume the german made ones are nice though.

http://leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10534

Well shit, I have a 2013 with the burst finish and rosewood FB and other than needing a fret level its a fantastic instrument. I absolutely love it and if blindfolded probably couldn't tell it from German.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2021, 9:47 am 

donahue wrote:
TheMilford wrote:
donahue wrote:
shop.warwick.de

http://leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10534

Well shit, I have a 2013 with the burst finish and rosewood FB and other than needing a fret level its a fantastic instrument. I absolutely love it and if blindfolded probably couldn't tell it from German.

I think there were changes made since then... they have a wenge board now... And they are made in a different factory. It seems if you search the web review are mixed... ranging from the same issues I reported to people loving them...