LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 3:11 pm

Post subject: Re: Lefty Ibanez ATK300
PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 1:58 pm 

(A Related Side Note: I thought I’d digress for just one moment to give a quick shout out to my TRB50L; The 1995 US Ibanez catalog debuted the ATKs (including Lefty) as well as this slightly updated version of the TRB50.. TR stood for “Traditional rock” series which for right handers went all the way up to the TR Expressionist, but the TRB50 was the only TR being offered in Lefty. It was intended to be a basic entry level P bass clone in the lineup (although it shares the same body shape and 22 fret neck scale with the ATK). I bought this bass used several years ago for $150 to be my “closet” bass (a bass I leave in the closet in my office for musical “emergencies”). The previous owner had already dropped an old black DiMarzio and new pots in it, but he was one of those guys that never touched a truss rod in his life, so you could have shot arrows off the strings the action was so bad. But I put some rod to it and the neck came right back… and it sounded so good and played so well that it ended up coming home. The stock tuners were tiny and absolute crap, so I drilled out the tuner holes and dropped in a set of full size Ping P bass tuners and now I love this thing. I don't know if anyone else here has one, but I mention this only to say that if you ever want something a little different in a cheap P bass with the longer scale neck you can pick one of these up and make something decent out of it with minimal investment... further validated when in 2003 I saw/ have pics of Pete Way from UFO playing an unmodified stock TRB50 at a club gig in Barrington Illinois...

Attachments:
Ibanez TR50L...jpg
Ibanez TR50L...jpg [ 198.99 KiB | Viewed 8396 times ]
Pete Way 2003.jpg
Pete Way 2003.jpg [ 115.5 KiB | Viewed 8394 times ]
PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 11:07 am 

Carmine wrote:
As far as Dano's 8 screws, it looks like one was added on the top side and I'm not surprized because these pickguards had a tendency to warp pretty easily so it's probably helping to hold it down. My first one has a small bit of a warp in that same area.

That's exactly why I added it. The 2nd switch is a battery kill switch, as I hate having to replace the input jack every few years due to having to plug/unplug the bass so much to keep the battery from dying.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 11:27 am 

All these pics of amber ATK300's are giving me GAS! I like the trans black finish of the Japanese ATK300's better, but the amber stain is very pretty too!

Now that this is becoming a "Post your ATK pics!"-thread anyway, I might as well post mine again :)

And I briefly (app. 6-7 months) owned this one for tuning in D, but sold it again because I had no need for it anymore:

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 12:18 pm 

danomite64 wrote:
The 2nd switch is a battery kill switch, as I hate having to replace the input jack every few years due to having to plug/unplug the bass so much to keep the battery from dying.

That's a pretty good idea- the input jacks on both my ATKs are starting to get a little crackle to them; I thought I remember reading somewhere in past reviews that the jacks on these are somewhat prone to failure eventually, is that right?

Hey Jeroen, what does your 300 weigh?

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 1:28 pm 

Carmine wrote:
Hey Jeroen, what does your 300 weigh?

I'll try to weigh it sometime after the weekend. I'm off to the Belgian Ardennes for a couple of days to go hiking, kayaking and maybe mountainbiking (and to enjoy the great Belgian gastronomy and beers :D) so I won't get around to it this weekend.

Last edited by Jeroen on April 29th, 2010, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2010, 2:32 pm 

Carmine wrote:
I thought I remember reading somewhere in past reviews that the jacks on these are somewhat prone to failure eventually, is that right?

Yes, as well as Soundgears and G&L's, and Musicmans......Musicmen? Whatever. I'm not 100% sure the contact surface of the barrel (sleeve) gets corroded, or if the springiness of the super-thin tip piece gives out; either way, it seems they never last more than a few years.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 7:24 pm 

hey do you guys know what website i could get a left handed ATK300 off of

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 9:37 pm 

Not being made anymore. Only used ones brother...Ebay, Craigslist, Leftybassist...

PostPosted: March 8th, 2012, 11:56 pm 

make a Saved Search in eBay for Ibanez ATK300L, Ibanez ATK300, and Ibanez ATK. That way all ATK's listed will come up. That's what I did, and still do; waiting for the ever elusive 5-string to appear one day.... ;) And then be prepared to wait..... and wait...... and wait...... and..... well, you get the picture! Good luck. If any of us spot one we'll post it up in the Southpaw Spotted thread....

PostPosted: March 15th, 2012, 10:26 pm 

Carmine wrote:
danomite64 wrote:
My ATK is 10.8 lbs........

Well these original ATK300s were always known as heavy basses, I gotta believe my 8.8 pounder is probably as light as they ever got, but maybe your 10.8 lbs is on the other extreme about as heavy as they got, and my 9.8 pounder is about average?

Anybody else have a original ATK weigh in to report?

Just weighed mine on a cheap luggage scale, and it looks like it weighs in at 10lbs or so. It is heavy... I'll have to stick it on a good bathroom scale to find out the actual weight for y'all....

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2012, 10:01 pm 

do you guys know a website where i can find a left handed atk bass? they are beautiful basses and i would love to get one

PostPosted: March 25th, 2012, 11:59 am 

lefty1573 wrote:
do you guys know a website where i can find a left handed atk bass? they are beautiful basses and i would love to get one

I still have 2; might be willing to sell one of em if the price is right. Let me know if you're interested.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2012, 12:40 pm 

well it depends on how much you want for it and how good of condition it is in