LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:48 am

Post subject: What rare goodies are on your pedalboard?
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 2:27 pm 

I know a few of us love rare and/or discontinued effects pedals, and probably have a few either laying around in storage, a practice room, a studio, or even on our actual pedalboards.

What do you have? Why did you seek it out and/or keep it? What about the pedal makes it special enough to warrant keeping it? Are they pedals that see constant use in your bands or projects, or are they treated as collector's items that are only used on occasion?

With the rise of digital modeling, reissue pedals, and "upgraded" replacements (i.e., the Boss DD-7 over the Boss DD-6), I'm curious to see what relics you might have on your board, and why you prefer them over similar newer pedals.

I'll start - I have a Boss PS-3 Digital Pitch Shifter/Delay. Nice delay tones, thick chorus sounds, and bizarre pitch shifting capabilities are what inspired me to track one down. To top it off, it can do everything a Bass Whammy can do in terms of whammy and harmony effects, and it's only 1/4 the cost (even though both are discontinued!).

Post subject: Re: What rare goodies are on your pedalboard?
PostPosted: March 21st, 2008, 6:33 pm 

MXR Envelope Filter, circa 1978. Not the deepest wah, (only 2 knobs) but the easiest to use and a great sounding plug-n-go pedal that doesn't thin out when you hit it hard like other filters.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing too old but I swear by the Budda Phatbass. It is key to my sound. It's been discontinued, unfortunately.

Hieg should chime in here, he uses 3 pedals at various times that are all discontinued, rare bass pedals.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2008, 7:50 pm 
Handyman
Handyman

Yeah, I use a Fodera Preamp pedal (discontinued), SIB Fatdrive (discontinued, though I hear they were planning on making them again), and sometimes a Budda Phatman. I also absolutely love the Reverend Drivetrain II for guitar and bass.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2008, 11:04 pm 

It doesn't get a lot of attention, but the HAO Rustride is really a gorgeous sounding bass overdrive. I love mine and although it is clearly a one trick pony, its a sweet trick. There is no low end loss with this pedal when run with a hot enough volume level. The pedal adds so much meat to your tone that its tempting to turn the volume down which results in what sounds like a loss of low end.

I just keep the single level control around the halfway mark and its perfect. I paid as much for this pedal as I did for my Fulltone Bassdrive ($200 Canadian) But the tone of the Rustride has a quality to it that the Fulltone doesn't quite meet. The Fulltone is so much more versatile and usefull but the Rustride just puts a smile on my face everytime I use it.