LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:00 am

Post subject: Recommend Octave and Chorus Pedals
PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 7:43 am 

I'm slowly starting to build a little pedal board, having avoided the use of effects for years. I used to own the Boss CE-3 and OC-2 pedals, but sold them a long time ago. Looking to return to those effects again, but with better/improved tones and tracking. I had an EH POG as well, which AFAIK, is the only polyphonic octave pedal? I liked that pedal, (especially on guitar), since there was no glitching or tracking issues even when playing chords, but the octaves never really sounded authentic enough.

So what are my options? MXR? EBS? The MXR M288 octave sounds pretty cool even in the lower registers, but I don't think it's polyphonic. Likewise on the M83 for chorus. Would be great if there was something otu there that offered a touch of reverb too without having to go to a multi-effects unit.

Post subject: Re: Recommend Octave and Chorus Pedals
PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 8:08 am 

For chorus I have been using an Analogman chorus with a deep switch for years. I also mess around with a Hartman flanger and it gets some decent results. I also occasionally use a Retro-Sonic chorus, but it's output is too low for gigging purposes. [side note, I was under the impression that Retro sonic can no longer obtain the Panasonic chip that gives up the classic CE-1 goods, but that might have changed, it's been awhile since I've looked].

I'll let others chime in on the octave pedals. I have never found one that tracks well on the E string below A.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 8:20 am 

FWIW I had the EBS Octabass and with my setup at the time (VM Jazz into Genz Streamliner), I could not get it to track well at all. I see good clips on YouTube about the MXR bass octave deluxe, and it's pretty affordable ( pops up on the GC used gear site a lot).

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 12:28 pm 

I use the EHX MicroPOG, there is nothing else that tracks as well. I like the 3 octave range and polyphony but you are right in that the upper octave is a bit synthy. I find that one has to work with the levels and blend to tame it but it will never be perfect. Still, I don't think that there is anything else like it on the market except the big POG and HOG.

As for chorus, I used the Danelectro 18v Cool Cat for years and still think it is a great pedal, especially for the price. However, I finally aquired a Fulltone ChoralFlange and that will be my chorus from here on. I was going to get the Analogman Bi-Chorus w/ Deep switch until I found the Fulltone. Who knows, one day I might get the Bi-chorus anyway :D, the Analogman chrouses are really great pedals.

Two other Choruses you might check out are the Tech21 Boost Chorus and the Source Audio Orbital Modulator. The Boost Chorus seems capable of a wide range of chorus sounds and there are very favorable reviews on the pedal. The SourceAudio stuff is very good and I am having serious GAS for their line of pedals, especially now that they have released the Midi Hub.

The Ola by Strymon looks really good too, but I have only seen/heard the online demos.

Good luck!

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 12:55 pm 

Basshappi wrote:
... I finally aquired a Fulltone ChoralFlange and that will be my chorus from here on. I was going to get the Analogman Bi-Chorus w/ Deep switch until I found the Fulltone. Who knows, one day I might get the Bi-chorus anyway :D, the Analogman chrouses are really great pedals.

The ChoralFlange is a great product. Another flavor of chorus goodness.

Basshappi wrote:
... The Ola by Strymon looks really good too, but I have only seen/heard the online demos.

ain't no such thing as a bad Strymon product in my books ;)

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 2:29 pm 

MXR M234 Analog Chorus works VERY well for bass. Its not the bass pedal but works better IMO than the bass pedal. Thumbslam will back this one up as well. Also great for thickening up your tone when needed.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2014, 2:25 am 

I use an EBS Red Twister chorus, which is actually a guitar pedal (yes, by EBS!) but very similar to the EBS UniChorus and with the same features. I love it, although it sounds very 'nice' and clean. Also has a flanger mode.

I also have the EBS OctaBass, but rarely use it. I like it, it tracks very well but I have to agree, below A it starts to get in trouble. I recorded with it once, but in a very full mix so it's difficult to hear. It's in the verses (played in A, with the octaver because it sounded tighter than a downtuned B-string on the recording):
https://myspace.com/micgeeband/music/so ... 3-70666404

(not my usual cup of tea, although I really enjoyed working on it, but the producer and guitarist is a friend of mine)

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 6:09 am 

Well I ended up buying the Mini POG and the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe.

The POG is familiar to me, since I used to have the larger original model. Tracks perfectly. Its nice to know I can play anywhere on the bass and not have to worry about flubbing octaves breaking up. The upper octave isn't much use, admittedly, though if I ever want to replicate a church organ I know where to get it. Nice thing about this pedal though is I can use it on guitar as well, so you can get some decent 12 string simulations.

The MXR Chorus is killer. Just a nice organic chorus that doesn't get too crazy or extreme, with the bonus of a flanger setting. it has a X-Over switch that, when engaged, restores all your low end. Just what I was looking for to add some color to my fretless.

The folks over at "that other bass site" have been raving about some of Zoom's bass pedals, so I thought I'd go and try the Zoom MS-60B for the hell of it and bring it home to compare to the pedals I have so far to see if I can, "kill several birds with 1 stone/pedal". I like the single pedal footprint it offers, and since I don't use a ton of effects to begin with perhaps a jack-of-all-trades pedal like the Zoom can cover them. I still have time to return what I bought. Anyone tried the Zoom and/or have an opinion? I will say that I have tried the guitar version in the past (MS-100BT) and thought it sucked, so I'm not holding out much hope. :lol:

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 11:00 am 

Not familiar with the Zoom, so, no.
How well does the Mini POG track on a B string?

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 11:54 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Not familiar with the Zoom, so, no.
How well does the Mini POG track on a B string?

I just tried it out with my Simonetti 6 string. I encountered zero issues. Tried both octave below and octave above, as well as various polyphonic chords, and it stayed right with it. (6 strings x 3 octaves = 18 string bass if playing a 6 string chord; sounds like a bloody cathedral organ!). Of course, an octave below low B isn't much use, but there was none of that usual break up or farting out you hear with most octave pedals. The only thing I hear/feel, and this is extremely minor, is a very slight latency, but it's very musical, and in some ways smooths out my playing/attack. I don't think it's more than 10ms max. The larger/more expensive POG gives you 3 different filter settings to dial in more control/growl of your octaves, but I'm not missing it and it's not something I can't compensate for with my amp.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 8:37 pm 

mmmm ... methinks something else just got added to my G.A.S list ...

PostPosted: February 24th, 2015, 9:42 pm 

PJ,
what additions/subtractions have you made to your board lately?

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 6:31 am 

I purchased the Analogman Bi-Chorus with the depth toggle in December and the pedal is fantastic. Having two different setting with the ability to switch back and forth is very useful.

I think it sounds better in the effect loop compared to the direct chain.

Fair warning: The price is definitely more than your average $99 pedal.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 8:07 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
PJ,
what additions/subtractions have you made to your board lately?

The only other purchase I've made since is the MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter. I love it! Very simple to use, with the ability to blend in your dry signal so your instrument doesn't get lost in the funk. ;)

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 8:53 am 

DavidGentry wrote:
I purchased the Analogman Bi-Chorus with the depth toggle in December and the pedal is fantastic. Having two different setting with the ability to switch back and forth is very useful.

I think it sounds better in the effect loop compared to the direct chain.

Fair warning: The price is definitely more than your average $99 pedal.

A-man builds a great chorus IMHO. I am always blown away when I run it into my Puma 900 -> Fearless F210 rig.