LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:53 am

Post subject: Beheringer V-AMP-PRO
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 9:33 am 

anyone else here using one?
I found a very clean one last week for 100 bucks on CL, finally got the tips and tricks from a user on TB on how to erase/change/add..etc and wow it works just like they say :)
I have a midi pedal coming that will get me the cool patches I made onto the floor and will probably use this thing for many years.
I'm more of a "one tone for the life of my carrear" kind of guy, but this thing just has too many playtoys in it to set and forget until the honeymoon is over..lol.. My downsized rig is now complete. No more 65lb rack to haul around with the old lead-sled Mackie amp in it anymore. 23 wonderful lbs now for this old man's back.
The only negative so far is the built in tuner is about as useful as a space heater on a 85 degree day, so my KORG DT1000 will be with me for a long time to come. My line mixer will also stay in the rack ( just in case the VAMP blows up I can bypass it on the fly ) and add any other effects as a insert channel into it if I choose to find another pedal or whatever.

Post subject: Re: Beheringer V-AMP-PRO
PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 8:02 am 

Are you intending to use it for it's amp modeling as well, or strictly effects?

I've never gone the amp modeling route on bass other than in home studio use, personally, but I use amp modeling on guitar in my cover band live, using some combo of direct out to the PA or into my flat response Atomic Reactor 50w cabinet + mic'ing. My opinion of amp modeling in general (take it for what it is), is they can sound great and fat isolated but get completely lost in the mix with other instruments. I would suspect on bass the result would be even worse, but most prefer to either blend in with actual amps (4 cable method. If you don't know what that is google it) or mic up their cabinet. I dunno, it's been a while since I researched the technology, but I know people rave about the Axe FX stuff and, more recently, the Kemper profiling amp.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 8:24 am 

I havent played with it out in the real world yet PJ, only by myself, and at practice in my jamroom and that is nowhere near a live setting, but like you said --meh, I could deal with trying to get a good cut thru the band sound out of it, but I can't do that UNLESS I'm on the stage with the band, and who can say "WHOA let me readjust this and that" 2 minutes into our first song.

I pretty much only bought it to protect my exclusive reputation from "Addison" here.
it was cheap :lol:

honestly it is a nice preamp and the tone that closely resembles my other setup is just using it on the "tube preamp" setting because if all the amp modeling is even remotely what other amps sound like, I'll pass. ( with the amp models you STILL have to adjust the EQ controls, and ya some sound too tinny, some have no mids, some are gritty some are clean ) -- too much craziness for me.

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 9:26 am 

I have one in my studio and I love it. Very useful tones and effects, and great connectivity with stereo XLR outs. Haven't tried it live, or needed to.