LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:24 pm

Post subject: REVIEW: EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai
PostPosted: March 11th, 2008, 5:42 pm 

Here's my review of the Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai (SMMH)!

USER MANUAL: It's LONG. I highly suggest reading it to get the most out of the SMMH.

SIZE: 4.75" X 6", more or less. It's as tall as all the regular EHX XO series pedals, but it's also wider than them.

POWER: It runs on your standard 9VDC Boss-stye power supply, so practically any good power supply on the market can power it. It can't run on batteries, so don't even think of leaving your power supply at home!

BYPASS: True bypass. The lights and modes stay functional, so you know where you'll be when you turn it on.

LEDS: Lots of them on this pedal. The Beat LED indicates the delay time. The Bypass LED indicates whether the effect is on or off. The other LEDs indicate the mode you're in, whether a Preset is on or off for that mode, and the status of a recorded Loop.

CONTROLS: The SMMH has six knobs, whose functions change depending on the mode. The standard controls in the Echo modes are as follows: The Blend knob allows you to balance the volume of the dry signal and the delay effect; you can make the delays quieter or louder than the dry signal. The Decay knob allows you to reverberate the successive echos; dial in a little bit to get some classic reverb, or a lot to get some crazy echo-chamber stuff going. The Filter knob is essentially a tone knob for the delay effect; you can roll off the highs on the successive repeats for an analog feel, or roll off the lows for that "bad AM radio" effect. The Repeats knob allows you to control the number of repeats; in most modes, it goes from 2 to near-infinity, but in Multi-Tap mode, it's limited to 30. The Delay knob controls the delay time; its range depends on the mode, but the maximum is usually 1 or 3 seconds. The Hazarai knob is interesting; turning it allows you to switch modes. Pushing it in, however, allows you to recall one preset per mode. Holding it for a few seconds lets you save a preset. This is extremely useful for the frequent tweaker who has several different favorite settings.

In all modes, the Blend, Filter, and Hazarai do not change function at all. The Delay knob only changes function in the Loop Mode, where it controls the playing speed of the loop. The Repeat knob remains consistent except in Loop mode, where it controls the volume of the loop being played back; at maximum, it's normal volume, and anything below is a volume decrease. The Decay knob has the most varying purpose; read the manual for a table of what each knob does in each mode.

MODES: There are several modes on the SMMH that are sure to please any delay fan.
  • ECHO - This section consists of two typical delay modes and one unusual one: 3 Seconds, 1 Second, and 300ms + Modulation.
    • The first two are straightforward, traditional modes, each with its own maximum delay time.
    • The third one introduces modulated delays. With the delay time set low, the Decay up high, and the Repeats at minimum, you can achieve a thick, crystal-clear chorus effect. Beyond that, this mode has the potential for some really trippy and creepy sounds...
  • MULTI-TAP - This collection of modes sounds confusing, but it really isn't. Unlike a traditional delay pedal, you can set the exact number of delay repeats and adjust the relative volume of each echo. It's possible, for example, to dial in exactly 5 repeats that are exactly the same volume. You can also mess with that and get other results, too (like successively louder repeats that fade in from nothing, or vice-versa), but the maximum number of delays is 30.
    • The first two modes - 3 Seconds and 1 Second - are standard. They each have their own maximum delay times.
    • The third mode - 1 Second + Reverse Echo - is bizarre; it's a 1 Second mode, but it's the only mode on the SMMH where the TAP footswitch doesn't record a loop. Instead, hold down the TAP footswitch and what you just played will be played back in reverse (up to a maximum of 6 seconds). When you let go of the switch, it stops playing. This is extremely useful for those reverse-delay fans who want more control over reverse delay playback.
  • DEJA VU - These two modes are strange in their own right.
    • The first one - Reverse Echo - plays back your notes in reverse. The Decay knob in this mode controls the number of reverse-echo voices, from 1 to 25 maximum. I haven't messed with this too much yet, but it's really cool, and also a bit difficult to manage (ever tried following your notes in reverse? :p).
    • The Loop mode allows you to record what you're playing (30 seconds maximum), and also allows you to play with a few parameters like pitch and tempo. It's important to note two things about it: the Loop mode light only comes on when something is recording or recorded, and you can record a loop in any mode except Multi-Tap's 1 Sec + Rev. To record a dry, unaffected loop, you need to enter this mode manually; otherwise, entering it via the footswitch lets you record the crazy delay action you've got going. ;) I haven't really spent any time with the Loop mode, but I'll tell you this much: You'd better read the manual before you dive into it. It's easy to do the basics (recording, playback), but beyond that, it gets confusing. :hmm:
TAP FOOTSWITCH AND LOOPING: By holding down the switch for half a second, you can enter Loop mode at any time, and as long as you're holding it, you can record the ouptut of whatever mode you're in (for recording a clean, unaffected loop, manually dial in Loop mode with the Hazarai knob).

TAP-TEMPO: To use tap tempo, just tap the TAP footswitch twice. The time between taps is your delay time. Tap twice again to set a new delay time, or you can just turn the Delay knob instead.

SOUND QUALITY: The SMMH can do convincing analog delay tones just by tweaking the Filter knob and Decay knob a bit - convincing enough that I don't even see why I'd consider getting an analog delay pedal. Plus, it can do so much more that only a digital delay can accomplish. The sound of the standard no-frills delay tone is crystal-clear and matches the original signal perfectly. The modulation and reverse-echo modes are bizarre but cool, and Multi-Tap is great for those who don't want their delays to decay, or want to do other weird things to them. The SMMH can be as warm or harsh as you like, and it's completely noise-free.

VOLUME DROP: It's rather minor, and only in that small range around the 50/50 setting of the Blend knob. This seems to be the case with most pedals featuring blend knobs but no volume knob.

STEREO INPUTS / OUTPUTS: You can feed the SMMH a stereo signal for true stereo continuity in your chain, or you can make it go Mono-to-Stereo for some ping-pong delay action (the successive repeats will bounce left and right).

SUMMARY:
This pedal can be as ordinary or as freaky as you want it to be. It can replace your chorus pedal, pull off plenty of non-traditional delay sounds, and function as a basic looper with a few perks. It really does have all the Hazarai. :D My only complaint is that I wish you could switch modes or turn presets on or off with an external footswitch. I don't really need one, but I know some would prefer to be able to switch modes and presets by stomping a footswitch.

SCORE: :D :D :D :D :|

SOUNDCLIPS: I decided to just do a small sampling of sounds. All of these clips are recorded in mono, through my Presonus FirePod. They're a bit sloppy, but they should give you the general idea.

1 Second and Reverse Delay Modes
300ms + Mod Mode, Two Different Settings

Enjoy! ;)