LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 15th, 2024, 11:57 pm

Post subject: REVIEW Korg GT 4 tuner
PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 8:08 am 

I don't want a pedal type tuner because I like to keep the hookup simple and straight in to the amp. My basses have never gone out of tune during a gig once I'm tuned up.

I was looking for a tuner that would be easy to read in low lighting. The Korg GT 4 looked ideal, compact design with LED's and a bright note display. It has different tuning modes including strobe.

I was disappointed to find that the Korg GT4 doesn't track bass very well. The strobe was near impossible to use and the more conventional mode where the LED's track like a needle/dial display was only a little better. A guitarist asked to use it and he even had problems and ended up using someone else's tuner.

So IMO the Korg GT4 is not a good prospect for bass. I returned it and went with the Boss TU15 tuner. A lot more money but I need something good and reliable, Boss's are known for that and the TU 15 has a bright well lit display and tracks bass with no problems.

Post subject: Re: REVIEW Korg GT 4 tuner
PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 11:28 am 

I was actually looking for a tuner a while back because I was also using a korg (one with the needle). It actually did work well but it was a pain unplugging and stuff every time I needed to check my tuning.

I've also always gone straight into the amp, but I wasn't opposed to adding some type of pedal. So for close to the same price I got a Zoom B2 pedal that has a built in tuner and a mute function too. Tuner tracks perfectly for bass with no probs handling the low B.

the amp modellers and effects aren't half bad either! so for my purposes this was a good alternative to a stand alone tuner and a really good value.

the only downside as far as the display is that if I'm playing an outdoor, daytime gig it's all over. Cannot see the display at all..

That's where your Boss tuner wins!